GE Healthcare’s “Silent Scan” Technology Reduces MRI Noise To A Whisper

A (MRI) Magnetic Resonance Imaging machine can be louder than you expect. #-Link-Snipped-# the noise levels of a standard MRI machine to go up to 100 decibels. To get an idea exactly how loud is 100 decibels you would have to operate a jackhammer or stand in front row of a rock concert. You can now have a vague idea about the noise levels inside the enclosed space of a MRI machine. The noise aggravates the anxiety levels of the patient who then finds it hard to stay still for the MR scan. To reduce noise from 100 decibels to ambient room levels GE Healthcare has developed the Silent Scan technology which is neuro acquisition technique that focuses on removing the noise at the source itself instead of trying to muffle or dampen the sound.

GE

The #-Link-Snipped-# starts off with the ‘Silenz’, a data acquisition method where gradients are used continuously to reduce the mechanical vibrations. The technique also works in improving image quality of the scans. Next it uses high fidelity power electronics to avoid generating image artifacts during reconstruction. Finally it employs ultra-fast RF switching to make sure that the RF coil takes microseconds to switch from transmit to receive modes. Silent Scan has now been commercially implemented on GE's 1.5T and 3.0T systems. Now while #-Link-Snipped-#, we are glad to know that patients will now have a less harrowing experience at the hospital.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# via #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    So it helps in relaxing the mind of patients who have been already suffering from disease fear .Its going to be a boon for medical scanning machines.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the use of yield() in java multithreading ?
To all the CEans, Please note that writing a proper description to each of your resource is very critical. The search engine relies on the description and the title of...
iam an electric engineering ,i have just graduated and want to do some courses but actually dont know from where should i start .......sooo need some help from professinals....like uoo....
What are the different types of servers ? Please mention the functions of each server and their differences.
hi,i am a ece 3rd year student i have an interest in software field but don't have proper guidence.i want to know that what qualities should i improve and which...