GATE 2012 Syllabus For Civil Engineering

Structural Engineering:-

Mechanics: Bending moments and shear forces in statically determinate beams -- simple stress and strain: relationship -- stress and strain in two dimensions, principal stresses, stress transformation, Mohr’s circle -- simple bending theory -- flexural shear stress -- thin-walled pressure vessels -- uniform torsion.

Structural Analysis: Analysis of statically determinate trusses, arches and frames -- displacements in statically determinate structures and analysis of statically indeterminate structures by force/energy methods -- analysis by displacement methods (slope-deflection and moment-distribution methods) -- infludence lines for determinate and indeterminate structures -- basic concepts of matrix methods of structural analysis.

Concrete Structures: Basic working stress and limit states design concepts -- analysis of ultimate load capacity and design of members subject to flexure, shear, compression and torsion (beams, columns isolated footings) -- basic elements of prestressed concrete: analysis of beam sections at transfer and service loads.

Steel Structures: Analysis and design of tension and compression members, beams and beam-columns, column bases -- connections - simple and eccentric, beam-column connections, plate girders and trusses -- plastic analysis of beams and frames.

Geotechnical Engineering:-

Soil Mechanics: Origin of soils -- soil classification -- three-phase system, fundamental definitions, relationship and inter-relationships -- permeability and seepage -- effective stress principle: consolidation, compaction -- shear strength.

Foundation Engineering: Sub-surface investigation - scope, drilling bore holes, sampling, penetrometer tests, plate load test -- earth pressure theories, effect of water table, layered soils -- stability of slopes - infinite slopes, finite slopes -- foundation types - foundation design requirements -- shallow foundations -- bearing capacity, effect of shape, water table and other factors, stress distribution, settlement analysis in sands and clays -- deep foundations - pile types, dynamic and static formulae, load capacity of piles in sands and clays.

Water Resources Engineering:-

Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics: Hydrostatics applications of Bernoulli equation, Laminar and turbulent flow in pipes, pipe networks -- concept of boundary layer and its growth -- uniform flow, critical flow and gradually varied flow in channels, specific energy concept, hydraulic jump -- forces on immersed bodies -- flow measurement in channels -- tanks and pipes -- dimensional analysis and hydraulic modeling.Applications of Momentum equation, Potential flow, Kinematics of flow -- Velocity triangles and specific speed of pumps and turbines.

Hydrology: Hydrologic cycle -- Rainfall -- evaporation infiltration, unit hydrographs, flood estimation, reservoir design, reservoir and channel routing, well hydraulics.

Irrigation: Duty, delta, Estimation of evapo-transpiration -- crop water requirements -- design of lined and unlined canals -- waterways -- head works, gravity dams and Ogee spillways.Designs of weirs on permeable foundation, Irrigation methods.

Environmental Engineering:-

Water Requirements -- quality and standards, basic unit processes and operations for water treatment, distribution of water. Sewage and sewerage treatment: Quantity and characteristic of waste water sewerage -- primary and secondary treatment of waste water -- sludge disposal -- effluent discharge standards.

Transportation Engineering:-

Highway planning -- Geometric design of Highways -- Testing and specifications of paving materials -- Design of flexible and rigid pavements.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everybody. I understand that bearing (a normal 10 $ ball bearing for example) .. can withstand limited speed (say 3000 rpm) if spent at further speed then we should...
Sorry if it is a repost to someone, but wanted to share this link as there are lots of good lecture series uploaded on youtube by NPTEL, it may come...
sir i want to maka a line follower robot using 8051 microcontroller .pls send me the assembly language program for tht and components required with making procedure.
please help me in choosing the subjects: operating system,image processing(1 elective group) and out of real time systems and data structures(other electiv group) i am interested in the multimedia field...
Hi Everyone! I am a student of Electronics Engg. in 6th semester. I've to decide my FYP based on image processing applications. The application is to be implemented on any...