Galaxy Note II Ink Effect With Android 4.1.2

Samsung's keeping the Galaxy Note II users happy with a new firmware upgrade 4.1.2. While you may not expect anything apart from stability updates, 4.1.2 actually brings lot of goodies to the phone. The most eye pleasing of them is the 'Ink Effect'. When you touch the home screen of the phone with the S-Pen, you get an ink spreading on water effect. It's actually pretty cool. Check this video -

Update: Got the firmware details as follows -

Android Version: 4.1.2 โ€“ Build JZO54K
PDA: N7100XXDLK7
CSC: N7100PRTDLK5
MODEM: N7100XXDLK7

PS: Makes me wonder why Poland gets updates first ๐Ÿ˜จ

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The_Big_K
    PS: Makes me wonder why Poland gets updates first ๐Ÿ˜จ
    R&D is based in Poland,hence Poland is always the first country to get updates where test of firmware updates are carried out & then updates are available to rest of the world. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lal
    lal
    I have a doubt. This new effect means a new process will be running in the background, right? Waiting to detect the s-pen touching the screen and make the effect. Perfectly agree that it is a pretty cool effect.

But all these eye pleasing cool effects has a process in the background, right? All these processes would be always active too, draining the battery juice. I have a feeling that if all those eye pleasing effects were not used, the battery would last for 10 more hours ๐Ÿ˜ Isn't there a chance like that?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's right. But the process loads itself only when the S-Pen is detached. Note that if you touch with with finger, it shows another effect. Not much of a drain on the battery - I've noticed (yet to get the update, though).

The biggest battery drain is WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G. Keep them off and you should be fine for at least 2 days on any android.
  • lal
    lal
    So there is another process running to detect when the S-pen is detached or attached ๐Ÿ˜ Wish all these automatic background processes could be managed manually.
    Probably on that day when we compile our own OS
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not very familiar with the working of Android, but I can tell you for sure that the processes aren't heavy on the processor. In fact I use the S-pen only when it's absolutely required (note taking). That said, I'm quite sure that the latest firmware upgrade will make the processes management more efficient. Someone who keeps an eye on the Android development might be able to shed more light on this. In fact, it'd be an interesting thing to know! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • lal
    lal
    For a Quad-core 1.6 GHz processor those visually cool effects and processes would be lighter than anything. But the same would be a super heavy task for a low end Android with a single core hardly 1GHz processor.

Note II uses a 3.1 Ah battery and lasts for 2 days without wifi, bluetooth and 3G. Low end droids with way too lower capacity batteries follow the same rule. I don't see any differences between the Note II and such droids other than a big high quality screen and too much visually pleasing effects; and yes a powerful brain.

As you said, these processes shouldn't be draining much power or else Samsung wouldn't have included them at all, when short backup is Android's one of the most highlighted downsides. But, a big screen and processor alone is eating that extra power squeezed in to that big battery? As you said, some one with indepth Android knowledge may be of help.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah. I'm even wondering what wizardry does Apple include in their iOS that the battery lasts several hours more than similar Android? I've seen the iPad 2 refusing to lower the battery percentages even after several minutes of gameplay on full volume and full brightness.
  • lal
    lal
    Ipad 2 has a 7 Ah battery. That should be one solid reason, I believe.

Having had little experience with iOS and apple devices I better not make any comments ๐Ÿ˜

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, i just wanted to know if anyone is applying to this new dual degree program. i am very much keen on it since it is based in Noida...
The official website of the annual TIE Conference at Nagpur (TiECon 2013) is yet to go live, but from what I've been hearing is that the conference is scheduled in...
13,19=>4 ....... 71,9=>10 then 128,32=>? .
Here are some things to keep in mind when making this decision: i. A Ph.D. is not for everyone! ii. A Ph.D requires 6 years on average. The opportunity cost...
hello buddies. i have a suspect in my mind whether i could have any career in robotics, being a computer science engineering student. if there are any possibilities , could...