G.fast Will Make Your Dial Up Connections FTTH Like With Gbps Speeds

Those of you planning to discard your landline connections - hold on! If you thought those old telephone lines are obsolete, then we've a news for you. Alcatel-Lucent has demonstrated that FTTH (Fiber To The Home) like Internet speeds can be achieved over your old telephone lines. Which means your 144 Kbps dial-up connections can actually deliver several hundred mega bits per second. Theoretically, this technology would help speeding up Internet connections all over the world, replacing the need to install fiber connections everywhere.

slide

Of the 580 million broadband connections all over the world, almost 55% have copper connections. In the United States, that figure is about 33%, which is still significant, according to Dell'oro a telecom market research firm.

The nagging issue with the optic fiber cables is that the cost of installation is huge. But the new technology Alcatel-Lucent have demonstrated can boost up speeds over copper wire, at least from the nearest pole to your home, covering the final stretch.

Say Hello To G.Fast!

G.fast is an upcoming standard that Alcatel-Lucent is developing. It got preliminary step towards the approval from the International Telecommunications Union aka ITU. G.fast allows higher range of frequency over copper wires. Copper, however, is very prone to interference (cross connections) between the nearby lines, counter 'noise-canceling' signal is generated to nullify the interference.

A shoebox sized instrument mounted on the pole, a wall or in a manhole can connect about a dozen home with copper wires. It then exchanges the data between the fiber optic cable and the copper cables at very high speeds. In the tests performed by Alcatel-Lucent, the system could deliver 1.1 Gbps over a distance of about 200 ft and ~500 Mbps at 300 ft.

The next challenge is going to be convincing all the telecom / Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to install the device. Do let us know what you think about this technology? Do you think we should still go the wired way when wireless 5G is actively being developed; and expected to get ready in the next 10 years or so?

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Wired system has many advantages over wireless system So I think going forward in it is also needed fr effective balancing

However For even better system Why not a hybrid system capable of utilising and providing both wired and wireless tech

Speeds of 1 Gbps is really a marvel but too much load can make this speed also a bit obsolete in metros
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes this news feed makes me crazy.I agree that we havent utilized the wired connection in a proper way till now.May be Gfast can rework on it and help us to beat 3G.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    This builds on concepts from VDSL2, which is used in FTTC situations like apartments or very high density areas. So its pretty good for these premises.

This will probably take another 3-5 years to deploy properly. By this time though, FTTH would have surpassed 1 Gbps for sure.

Also, old telephone lines can mean really old ones with poor quality and poor laying. You'll definitely get lower SNR and more susceptible to interference.

In the end, you still need to install fiber to your home if you want to keep up with internet speeds.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

WeChat version 5.0 has been launched. It may not be available in your country as of yet, but App Store in China seems to be the first in the lot...
Indian Railways will soon have the AC coaches powered by solar energy. The Integral Coach Factory at Chennai has joined hands with IIT Madras to design coaches that will use...
This is arguably the worst taekwondo demo ever. Check it out for yourself -
hi friends, i have a problems with the waveforms of single phase half wave rectifier with r ,rl,rc loads etc.... i didnt understood properly please guide me
I have been allocated to PG-DESD ,CDAC,knowledge park,bengaluru. I need some details regarding class timings and full fee payment. I know the last date for fee payment. But, I want...