Fun with transformers

I have a transformer with a center tap secondary. Currently, I just connected the primary to the sector (with a switch and a fuse, of course). After taking some readings from the secondary wires, I have found weird things:

There is a voltage drop between the sector ground (not connected) and each of the secondary wires displays a voltage drop with the sector ground. The voltage drop is present even if the switch is off (It is also about 3.5 times greater, compared to when the switch is on). What is the cause of this?

I am afraid to connect my oscilloscope to the secondary because I don't want to short the transformer's secondary to the ground.

How should I wire the primary, secondary and sector ground?

I am doing some experiment with power supplies.

Thank you!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Have you checked if there exists a voltage between the ground and neutral on the input side? Does this continue if the switch position is changed to the other line?
    Occasionally there is a higher than normal neutral to ground voltage. There can also be an insulation breakdown some where in the transformer. Have you checked the insulation integrity?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently looking at the very fast development in Ubuntu, I've switched myself from Mint to Ubuntu (Fedora is still a hottest OS for me). Being honest,I am enjoying it.Something in...
could u please tell me advanced java technology projects to do for computer science engineering students with domains like data mining,web applications etc plz send me as soon as possible..
Dear godfather, please help me with RF 433 tx rx pair. i am transmitting data from UART at the receiver of RF 433 i am getting inverted bit pattern of...
WHY ARE ALL THE VALUES OF VOLTAGES OF TRANSMISSIONS ARE IN MULTIPLES OF 11, MEANS 11KV, 33KV, 110KV, 220KV.? MY TEACHER ASKED US THIS QUESTION. PLZ HELP.
TATA Social Enterprise Challenge, is a joint initiative by the TATA Group and the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIM Calcutta) and a National Level challenge to find India’s most...