Fully charged capacitor short circuited?

What will happen if afully charged ideal capacitor is short circuited with an ideal 0 resistance wire? Will the capacitor change polarity?

What will happen if an ideal ideal inductor is connected across a battery of say E volts. what will the variation of current?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    I think the capacitor would discharge momentarily. Since there is no resistance to limit the current flow in this case.

An inductor is of no use in dc applications. If you connect an inductor across a battery, its same as short circuiting it!
  • praky
    praky
    lal
    I think the capacitor would discharge momentarily. Since there is no resistance to limit the current flow in this case.

An inductor is of no use in dc applications. If you connect an inductor across a battery, its same as short circuiting it!

how will the capacitor discharge and if it discharges within a moment then where does the energy go since there is no resistance in the ckt?

inductor will short ckt battery at steady state only. When battery will be connected the inductor will behave as open switch. i am asking for the current variation till steady state...
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    It will again charge the capacitor again,but polarity wont be changing,as for Inductor no effect on current since it is DC, it might effect little variation in voltage

praky
    how will the capacitor discharge and if it discharges within a moment then where does the energy go since there is no resistance in the ckt?

inductor will short ckt battery at steady state only. When battery will be connected the inductor will behave as open switch. i am asking for the current variation till steady state...
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Capacitor can discharge with the resistance of the Voltage source!
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    In fact the capacitors never charges again. All the electrons in the -ve terminal flow instantaneously to neutralise the positively charged terminal. The Energy is lost as EM waves. This is the same concept of EMP (electro magnetic pulse) heard in the Matrix movies.

-Karthik
    😁
  • praky
    praky
    reachrkata
    In fact the capacitors never charges again. All the electrons in the -ve terminal flow instantaneously to neutralise the positively charged terminal. The Energy is lost as EM waves. This is the same concept of EMP (electro magnetic pulse) heard in the Matrix movies.

satisfied.

In inductor problem, will the current never rise across inductor?
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    No it will rise, but not instantaneously. It will rise exponentially.

-Karthik
  • praky
    praky
    reachrkata
    No it will rise, but not instantaneously. It will rise exponentially.

-Karthik
    I think the current should rise linearly since no resistance is there.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    praky
    I think the current should rise linearly since no resistance is there.

The inductor acts as an open circuit initially, and then it slowly, but exponentially, loses that property.
    The reverse happens in capacitors.
  • bohar
    bohar
    i think capacitor will discharge because ideal wire has no resistance to limit the current.
  • Dave Hill
    Dave Hill
    If no external resistance is applied (short circuit) the capacitor will discharge at a rate only limited by it's own internal resistance. The amount of heat generated in the capacitor can be excessive when this happens and can be determined by the number of joules expended shorting a capacitor across its effective internal resistance.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends, i want to know if i create a login window with the help of html then how to connect that window with a database.so that when we enter...
Quick Heal CEan of the month April 2010 is... 😁CEan - sahithi pallavi😁 ​ CEan Sahithi Pallavi joined CE in July 2009. With over 2000 posts to her credit, Pallavi...
Announcement: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/33913-quick-heal-cean-month-april-2010-a.html discuss in this thread.
i am doing project on two way trafic light useing plc and now i want to do on four way trafic light by using step7 sematic plc so please help...
Howdy CEans, I am a 2nd year Electronics Engg student, I don't have any 'summer training' or 'intern' program this summer like most of my friends. So I have thought...