View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12933 Members
Join this group to post and comment.

FTP:File Transfer Protocal

please put some information about FTP,its working and how it can be properly used.and the areas where it is being used.
Thanks in advance.πŸ˜€
Kaustubh Katdare
Kaustubh Katdare • Oct 26, 2009
There are numerous articles available on the Internet about FTP. In simple terms, its a protocol used for file transfers [thus the name, File Transfer Protocol].

Its typically used for file transfers between the server & the client.
FTP(File Transfer Protocol)

The protocol for exchanging files over the Internet.
FTP works in the same way as HTTP for transferring Web pages from a server to a user's browser
SMTP for transferring electronic mail across the Internet in that, like these technologies
FTP uses the Internet's TCP/IP protocols to enable data transfer.

FTP is most commonly used to download a file from a server using the Internet or to upload a file to a server.
FTP is mainly required to transfer files from one location to another
it is service provided by windows
You can easily use this service
by typing
cmd in run
then ftp
for further commands follow net
and i Think this mainly provided to avoid restrictions on mail service provided by websites
ie they have some limitation on file size
but ftp has not
goyal420
FTP is mainly required to transfer files from one location to another
it is service provided by windows
You can easily use this service
by typing
cmd in run
then ftp
for further commands follow net
and i Think this mainly provided to avoid restrictions on mail service provided by websites
ie they have some limitation on file size
but ftp has not
i am using the fireftp inbulit addon in firefox and when i used to open it the site it open some sites and some not.some sites open automatically but some require passwords. as i know user id is anonymous ,and password is your email address .so is their specific reason to use email address as password.and how its good and secure to use ftp sites.
vik001ind
vik001ind • Oct 29, 2009
cooldudeiet
i am using the fireftp inbulit addon in firefox and when i used to open it the site it open some sites and some not.some sites open automatically but some require passwords. as i know user id is anonymous ,and password is your email address .so is their specific reason to use email address as password.and how its good and secure to use ftp sites.
There are two types of login in ftp servers
1. Anonymous -- Here username = anonymous & password = your email address. Your email address is taken by the server just for their record maintenance.

2. Non-anonymous -- Username & password are explicitly give to some specific persons by the server administrator.

Ftp transmissions are encrypted, thus its secure.
More security can be implemented by disabling anonymous login or denying file upload from anonymous user. Also you can restrict the traffic from some specific ips.

Share this content on your social channels -