FREEZERBATON - Freezer-baton for basic cryosurgery on a budget!

I'm describing here my design and construction project of a simple tool for basic cryosurgery - limited to freezing superficial skin lesions such as verrucas and warts etc - and possibly other applications where freezing temperature needs to be applied to only a small part of a larger mass.

My tool which I have named the "FREEZERBATON" or "Freezer-baton" employs a preparatory step of temporarily cooling parts of the disassembled freezer-baton in a domestic food-freezer before a simple assembly prior to applying the tool tip to the spot that needs freezing.

The freezer-baton has a feature to counter-act the inevitable tendency of a solid tool tip to be warmed by the patient's skin and the environment - an encapsulated water / anti-freeze solution which draws warmth away from the tool tip, effectively when mixed by effortlessly and intermittently inverting the freezer-baton, glugging an air-bubble within the solution up and down within the encapsulated volume.

When the freezer-baton has inevitably warmed through to the core and therefore has become ineffective for freezing anything, it can be disassembled and returned to the domestic food-freezer for re-cooling for later re-use.

A freezer-baton like this can be manufactured from off-the-shelf parts available from a DIY or plumbing supplies shop.

The following photographs of my freezer-baton should provide enough familiar information for a skilled plumber or anyone with a DIY aptitude and experience to make something similar.

Freezer-baton by Peter Dow

[​IMG]
Alternative image link #-Link-Snipped-#

Freezer-baton secured to go with carry-case bungee cords. Weight 1068 g

[​IMG]

Unhooking the bungee cords from one end of the freezer-baton carry-case allows the tool to slide out of the stand.

[​IMG]

Freezer-baton unboxed - Stand (258 g) & Tool (810 g) (showing tool end-cap, grip & tip)

[​IMG]

Tool disassembles for quicker cooling. 1. End-cap pulls off, 2. Nut unscrews, 3. Grip pulls off. Showing tool end-grip revealed when the end-cap is pulled off

Compare and contrast the freezer-baton with established cryosurgery tools

Even simpler and lower-cost for the occasion use are the verruca & wart remover freezing aerosol kits one can buy from the chemist, which use dimethyl-ether - propane.

Cryosurgery Dimethyl Ether .E2.80.93 Propane

However those kits have a strictly limited number of applications before the aerosol runs out. Also, a cold liquid which might drip or run is harder to control than a cold solid.

The freezer-baton never runs out of chemicals and my food freezer is on all the time anyway so there's little or no additional running costs of cooling a freezer-baton when I need to.

On the other hand, a freezer-baton is not a sufficiently powerful and flexible tool to compete with the type of high-tech, high-cost cryo-surgery probes which a modern hospital can afford.

So I would not claim that my design is a breakthrough in medical science and engineering that will sweep all competition aside.

Rather my freezer-baton design is more the kind of design which one might have expected to have seen bodged together for a Scrapheap Challenge or a student project maybe!

I had made my first prototype of this cryosurgery tool minus the plastic parts and had insulated it with only pipe insulating foam a few years ago but although it seemed to work OK, because it wasn't doing anything new that other existing tools couldn't do just as well or better, I didn't see any great urgency in publishing anything about it at the time.

Now that I've completed this second tool (because I lost the first tool) and this time I've also designed and made the plastic insulation, grip and stand, I think it may be worth publishing this brief project report?

freezerbatonpeterdow_A_800 freezerbatonpeterdow_B_800 freezerbatonpeterdow_C_800 freezerbatonpeterdow_D_800

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It has been only a few weeks since Yahoo first launched its Mail app for iPhone users. Now Yahoo Mail app is officially here on the Android platform. Ever since...
Hi, First of all, no offense to anyone, even I wear glasses.. Just come across this while browsing randomly... Have a look : https://www.scoopwhoop.com/humour/people-who-wear-glasses/
Microsoft recently launched its third Nokia X smartphone in the Indian market, the Nokia X+ dual-SIM, for Rs 8399, though the company hasn't listed the availability details of the same....
Maruti has announced Celerio CNG Model "Green" with a price tag of Rs. 4.68 Lakh, ex-showroom in Delhi. Already popular among the Indian buyers, the Celerio offers auto gear shift...
Aerofex is soon going to make the dream of flying your own motorcycle in the air real with its Aero-X hoverbike all set to launch in 2017. The mean machine...