Free MATLAB alternatives for Windows and Linux

MATLAB - also known by the name Matrix Laboratory, is really a life savior software for engineering students who rely on it for completing their simulation based projects. It is a software manufactured by MathWorks and believe it or not this single software has almost every package - to meet the requirements of every engineer in this world. From students to modern day researchers, you will find this software almost everywhere. It has its own scripting language which is easy to learn and it has Simulink, a modeling environment that allows using functional blocks to design a complete system. You can find more information here - in.mathworks.com

But unfortunately, despite having so many features, it is not free and many of its features are only available if one buys the full version of the software. Though Mathworks provide MATLAB for students at a discounted price of $45, many find it way expensive and look for other alternatives. Some students take the wrong route by using pirated version or the cracked version of the software and some uses the 30 - day trial version which is available for free at the MathWorks website.

Though the second option is quite practical, it can't support long-term use. I found a software known as GNU Octave on the internet which is not only free to download but also resembles MATLAB in almost every aspect. Except for the MATLAB GUI, this software provides a similar experience to its users in terms of language and functionality. Though there are minor variations in the names of the icons and few commands, it is almost identical in functionality to that of MATLAB. The best thing about it is that it is available for both Windows and Linux for free. More information about the software can be found here - #-Link-Snipped-#

Another software that I have heard about is the SciLab, which is also a free software and is available for both Windows and Linux. Though I haven't tried it, I have gone through its website and I have found that it is offering a similar functionality ( actually way more for advanced users). Those who are interested can check this link - Scilab | Scilab

Have you used or know about any other free alternatives of MATLAB? Tell us your experience in the comments below.

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    If you are in the lookout for open source MATLAB alternatives, then I have two other alternatives. The first alternative is called SageMath. It has all the features you need including a command-line interface, browser-based notebooks and tools for embedding formulas in other documents. It is build on the top of well-known Python based scientific computing libraries and is syntactically similar to Python. You can download the software www.sagemath.org.

The next alternative is called Genius or Genius Math Tool (GMT). Now Genius might not be exactly a MATLAB alternative since it evolved from a simple GNOME calculator but was later developed for more complex mathematical calculation. It is similar to in some aspects to MATLAB but uses its own Genius Extension Language for operations. You can find the download option www.jirka.org.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Amit Kumar Jha
    But unfortunately, despite having so many features, it is not free and many of its features are only available if one buys the full version of the software. Though Mathworks provide MATLAB for students at a discounted price of $45, many find it way expensive and look for other alternatives. Some students take the wrong route by using pirated version or the cracked version of the software and some uses the 30 - day trial version which is available for free at the MathWorks website.
    I think the price is now starts as low as US$29 for a student licence, which I think is ridiculously low compared to when I used MATLAB in early 2000's. It should be affordable enough and a great investment for students. That's like less than a Raspberry Pi 3 board.

Having said that, using opensource alternatives is still good if you don't require the full blown features of MATLAB.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Royal Enfield fans in India will be in a festive mood with the news of debut of the Twins- Interceptor 650 and the Continental GT 650 for the Indian...
A simple explanation of how differential gears work and why they are necessary. How Differential Gears Work
Who doesn't know about the most seemingly harmless but lethal weapon responsible for the environmental pollution? No doubt folks, Plastics will definitely make a place in top 5 such insidious...
I came to know about Tesla Powerbank and tried searching Amazon and Flipkart. It looks like the powerbank has yet to be made available in India. The official website mentions...
Many times these type of self-evaluating questions become problematic in an interview and you almost lose your nerve in thinking what you will say that would make them feel you...