Fraud - Is this the beginning of the end for Science?

Scientists are people with foibles of people in general. The general spread of corruption seems to have caught up with science. In India too, probably more than in the West.
This article bodes no good to the future of science.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Fortunately engineering seems to be free of this. Because when this happens, we call it reverse engineering and get on with it.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Before the discussion proceeds; are we separating out the science and engineering? I thought they're very connected.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Before the discussion proceeds; are we separating out the science and engineering? I thought they're very connected.
    They are. However, engineering practice involves copying a process for practical use. This is different from engineering R&D, where we may well hve similar fraud.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Using one method of science to disprove another is not fraud I believe. Yet evolution in science can cause a lot of confusion, even scientists suspect such fraud. Until yesterday we had only 9 planets, now they are saying something else, and tomorrow they will say something else. It's all in the Human Mind. It's actually the human mind which is taking time to develop, and we blame it on science! Science is there in front of us, we just need the view it from the right perspective...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anoopthefriend
    Using one method of science to disprove another is not fraud I believe. Yet evolution in science can cause a lot of confusion, even scientists suspect such fraud. Until yesterday we had only 9 planets, now they are saying something else, and tomorrow they will say something else. It's all in the Human Mind. It's actually the human mind which is taking time to develop, and we blame it on science! Science is there in front of us, we just need the view it from the right perspective...
    That is right. There is no objection to that whatsoever.
    However, what is being raised here is scientists copying other peoples' work and claiming it as their own. That is plain stealing and not acceptable.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    That is right. There is no objection to that whatsoever.
    However, what is being raised here is scientists copying other peoples' work and claiming it as their own. That is plain stealing and not acceptable.
    This is completely unacceptable. Stealing or plagiarism of any sorts should be condemned when it comes to Scientific & Research work. And I believe, even though we have copy-cats running all around the place, the real Scientists will always emerge out of the mess in every generation and take the mankind a step forward. I think this sudden spike in fraud may be a result of the drying up of funding. In addition to making researchers more desperate, it also increases the motive to detect fraud in competing work.
    I never understand the frenzy among teachers or students to publish. Just publish, publish, publish papers. 😨
    I dont think its going to kill science though! As it gets known widely, it will be just be influential in undermining public trust a little further. 👎

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Things are getting out of hand in advertising. Here is a magazine ad that features a working smart phone, no less: https://mashable.com/2012/10/02/ew-has-smartphone-inside/
Here is Steve Blank a great entrepreneur on how to do it. https://fora.tv/2012/08/14/Steve_Blank_How_to_Build_a_Great_Startup_Step_by_Step?utm_source=FORA.tv+New+Member&utm_campaign=bf284a2d3a-Newsletter_10_3_2012&utm_medium=email#Steve_Blank_Shares_the_Secret_Truth_About_Startups
From Newzealand with love. An amazing range of guitars made by 3D printing! https://www.odd.org.nz/index.html
Each engineer has done some designing or other some time. Some do it all the time? But how do we do it? I confess that I am a loner. For...
Ultracapacitors have an amazingly high efficiency in excess of 90% and a high charge-discharge current characteristics. They have been successfully used in start-stop technology for micro hybrids. https://machinedesign.com/article/put-a-cap-in-it-0809?page=0,0