Formula for equivalence calculations of pressure and flow

One day I'm going back to college to get my ME degree, if I don't die from old age first . Now..

I'm trying to fashion a Ranque-Hilsch tube to the exhaust of an internal combustion engine (ICE.) Most of the available information on these devices state a requirement of x psi (I've seen from 50 to 100,) but these are relatively small units with what appears to be 1/4" to 3/8" inlet ports. I'm looking at something more in the 1.25" to 1.5" range. So understanding PSI is a byproduct of flow, and that the larger inlet will "flow" much more air, how can I calculate orifice sizes to be proportionate.

It is a little difficult to describe if you are not familiar with the function of these tubes, but the fundamental operation best I can gather is rapidly spinning vortices, being forced to coexist, one within the other, in a confined space. So if the desired effect is accomplished at 100 psi air inlet pressure, fed by a 1/4" tube, culminating in a 1" cavity.... then using a .5 liter piston ICE, I'd need a ???" tube feeding at ??? psi, culminating in a ???" cavity. I know there must be some math that can give me proportional equivalents.

TIA for your help.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1. The bridge on the river kwai 2. Force 10 from navarone 3. Guns of navarone 4. Saving private ryan 5. The night of the generals 6. Where eagles dare...
hi ceans, I want to know that what actually means port forwarding & why we need to do so i.e why we need to forward ports to router. waiting for...
i am doing this project on Solar Panel (Maximum Power Point tracker) using Labview program and i need some help. Anyone has experience or any idea how to produce this...
Dear all, I just graduated as a mechanical engineering student and currently been working as a facility engineer which i've to cover all the systems in the building i.e hospital...
Does any body know links to good ebooks on robtics?