View Feed
group-icon
Coffee Room
Discuss anything here - everything that you wish to discuss with fellow engineers.
12894 Members
Join this group to post and comment.

Forget The 10,000-Hour Rule; Edison, Bezos, & Zuckerberg Follow The 10,000-Experiment Rule

Deliberate experimentation is more important than deliberate practice in a rapidly changing world.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare • Nov 3, 2017
@A.V.Ramani This is just such an incredible read. I actually enjoyed reading it and I am just so glad that the line of thought runs parallel to what we are doing at CrazyEngineers for our upcoming products and services. Thanks a ton for sharing!

Bezos and Zuckerberg aren’t saying that experimentation is one of many strategies. They are saying it is THE strategy.
I think these are the key takeaways -

1. Following the 10,000-experiment rule means starting your day with not just a to-do list but a “to-test” list like Leonardo Da Vinci.
  2. To achieve 10,000 hours of deliberate practice requires three hours of deliberate practice per day for 10 years.
  3. Superstars produce just as many bad ideas as everyone else — they just produce more ideas overall. Having many more ideas means they have more failures but also more hits.
  4. If You Can Do Enough Experiments, Success Is Virtually Guaranteed
Superb article. Made my day!

Share this content on your social channels -