Forget The 10,000-Hour Rule; Edison, Bezos, & Zuckerberg Follow The 10,000-Experiment Rule

Deliberate experimentation is more important than deliberate practice in a rapidly changing world.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# This is just such an incredible read. I actually enjoyed reading it and I am just so glad that the line of thought runs parallel to what we are doing at CrazyEngineers for our upcoming products and services. Thanks a ton for sharing!

Bezos and Zuckerberg aren’t saying that experimentation is one of many strategies. They are saying it is THE strategy.
    I think these are the key takeaways -

1. Following the 10,000-experiment rule means starting your day with not just a to-do list but a “to-test” list like Leonardo Da Vinci.
    2. To achieve 10,000 hours of deliberate practice requires three hours of deliberate practice per day for 10 years.
    3. Superstars produce just as many bad ideas as everyone else — they just produce more ideas overall. Having many more ideas means they have more failures but also more hits.
    4. If You Can Do Enough Experiments, Success Is Virtually Guaranteed
    Superb article. Made my day!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here’s the surprising story behind the software that conquered the world, one slide at a time. The Improbable Origins of PowerPoint
As digitisation in India is at its peak, I feel that, now more than ever, consumers are speaking up about their complaints over the Internet. Thanks to the quick access...
With the recent push for digitization and cashless economy by the Indian Govt., more and more individuals are turning to online banking which offers instant and real-time fund transfers from...
When I first heard from all of my batchmates who went to TCS that they opt for night shifts for the double pay they got, I was shocked. I have...
A couple of days back I happened to meet a few of my school friends for an informal get-together. Long winding chats led from one discussion to the other and...