Forceful Suction of Exhaust.......

Can an exhaust suction fan be used to suck the exhaust remaining in the clearance volume of an IC Engine?

Replies

• anu_mech
    anu_mech
    exhaust gases have enough energy to escape out. in fact for this often exhaust valves are made smaller than intake ones. exhaust suction may even lead to suction of intake charge through exhaust valve during valve overlap. how ever if suction is inactive during valve overlap it may help.
    as a personal opinion such exhaust fan will add more to engine load than serving for its purpose.
  • Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    I completely agree that the exhaust valve is made smaller than the intake valve but after the exhaust stroke, there is always some charge that remains in the clearance volume of the cylinder. This remaining exhaust gets mixed with the fresh charge and creates many problems like improper combustion, back pressure etc. I am talking about the forceful suction of this remaining exhaust.
    As far as valve overlap is concerned, one of the functions that valve overlapping serves is the scavenging of the remaining exhaust. It may be that after applying forceful suction, valve overlapping be reduced so that fresh charge is not sucked.
  • Iconoclast
    Iconoclast
    I completely agree that the exhaust valve is made smaller than the intake valve but after the exhaust stroke, there is always some charge that remains in the clearance volume of the cylinder. This remaining exhaust gets mixed with the fresh charge and creates many problems like improper combustion, back pressure etc. I am talking about the forceful suction of this remaining exhaust.
    As far as valve overlap is concerned, one of the functions that valve overlapping serves is the scavenging of the remaining exhaust. It may be that after applying forceful suction, valve overlapping be reduced so that fresh charge is not sucked.
  • anu_mech
    anu_mech
    valve overlap is not just for scavenging, it is mainly to maximize intake. so reduction of overlap will interfere in intake of charge. since exhaust gases themselves have enough energy to move a turbo, will suction help it to that extent? i think here practical evidences hold more of a value.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, For measuring the "speed / velocity" of an average car, I need some high res sensors. I've figured out two ways, 1. The average wheel / vehicle speed sensors...
😒 i want to do a project on pyrolysis of tyre anyone know how much cost required
CEans, After talking to couple of custom t-shirt vendors it's become clear that : 1. If we print t-shirts with the same message/image in bulk - we can keep the...
I have an assignment which is : write an article for a person who hasn't entered university yet on The benefits that engineering has brought to the world. It has...