Following HCL, Wipro Will Stop Assembling Personal Computers

Wipro - one of the leading IT companies in India with their own PC manufacturing/assembling factories will stop manufacturing PCs, reports #-Link-Snipped-#. Wipro is likely to shut down their factories in Uttarakhand and Puducherry and the move is likely to affect about a 1000 employees. The factory is at a standstill for the past few days and no new units are being assembled. The announcement comes right after HCL Infosystems announced that they'll exit the PC assembling business. It's no surprise that PC makers aren't interested in the business anymore because of declining sales of personal computers.

wipro-pc-manufacturing

Wipro's PC assembling business offered a range of hardware solutions including desktop PCs, portable laptops and servers. It's being reported that the business has seen declining profitability in the last few months. According to an official statement from Wipro; the company is evaluating the changing market scenario and customer demands. Decision to scale down the hardware business will follow.

The hardware business has helped Wipro stay competitive in bidding for large technology services projects. Having own manufacturing business allowed Wipro save about 10% of the costs but the recent fluctuations in dollar-rupee relationship no longer offers that benefit.

It's no wonder that the post-PC era has arrived with most of the end-user computing happening on laptops and tablets. Most of the home users anyway used their personal computers for watching videos, listening to music and playing games - something that the tablets and mobiles can offer more effectively than desktops or laptops.

What do you think about Wipro and HCL quitting hardware business? Is services overtaking manufacturing? Or should Wipro consider venturing into tablets and mobile manufacturing business? Will it give Wipro a competitive advantage?

Replies

• Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Wipro's focus is to maintain strong position as a leading SI (System Integrator) & to provide IT Solution & Services
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think consolidation is happening in the PC manufacturing industry. I'd believe (and hope) that the mainstream business is run on Desktops while the consumer uses all the technology on mobiles and tablets. I find it incredibly difficult to do any productive work on mobiles or tablet. Not sure if I'm the only one.
  • Ankit Litoriya
    Ankit Litoriya
    I have listened thia thing here only not sure about this ...
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    entering into tablet market will not help as the competition is already paramount. Instead they should focus on service aspect.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Using words like 'hack' ,'hacking' can get your website banned by host provider and google adsense ? So a website related to 'ethical hacking' containing word 'hack' will be banned...
let's start the most rated discussion abt the phones
I rooted my tab 4months ago and now I want to tab update through Samsung updates so any one guide me how to unroot my tab to its default version.
As the oldest staff members here at CrazyEngineers, a lot of people send us PMs asking what are the different career options for mechanical engineering students or graduates in India....
With Bluetooth 4.0, the bonus feature was low energy consumption even as they continued being connected to supporting devices. With updated Bluetooth 4.1, the Bluetooth peripherals have been upped on...