Flipkart Real-Time Shipment Tracking

Flipkart might have rolled up its sleeves to launch real time shipment tracking and make the entire delivery process faster. Indian online retail giant has acquired a minority stake in MapMyIndia - the leading mapping service provider in India. MapMyIndia has an array of products on mobile and stand-alone instruments. It also is one of the leading providers of the GPS navigation devices for cars.

Flipkart informed that its partnership with MapMyIndia will help them on multiple fronts like real time shipment tracking, verification of addresses and also reduce the theft of its shipments. The details of the deal were not disclosed.

The deal maybe an exist for two of the MapMyIndia's existing investors - Nexus Venture Partners (NVP) and Lightbox Ventures. MapMyIndia's is also backed by Qualcomm Ventures.

It's no wonder that the edge any ecommerce company can have in over-crowded Indian markets is through offering quicker, faster and more efficient delivery of the goods. Top rivals Flipkart and Amazon have began tackling this problem by launching their own courier services so that they hold the control over every part of the entire delivery process.

I personally would love to have a real time tracking of shipments. Interestingly, Flipkart has informed that it's likely to invest about $3-$4 billion in their logistics arm itself. Major part of this investment could go into opening fulfillment centers across strategic locations in India which will allow Flipkart to deliver products in a day or at max in 48 hours.

I'm not sure if all the money Flipkart paid is worth it; as Flipkart could have implemented the solution on their own. What do you think?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What technology!? Amazing spectacle at Azerbaidjan: Baku 2015 European Games Opening Ceremony highlights | Baku 2015 - YouTube
I was not aware of the Navy Seal's 40% Rule. However, quite often I have reached a point where one feels,'Enough is enough'. I have forced myself beyond to find...
I am not sure whether this topic is very off from what should be discussed here, but I found this might give students giving semester exams a break from heavy...
I'm Sahil Badani, 18. First year student of Electrical Engg. at Jadavpur University, Kolkata. I consider myself one of those typical students who await the destination but do not know...
Everyone knows the three R’s – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle but almost none of us bother with that because it requires a little effort. Epson, one of the world's largest...