Flashlight Powered By Body Heat - No Batteries Needed!

Google Science Fair 2013 is home to very innovative projects developed by young, high-school students from over 200 countries. One of the interesting projects that got into the final rounds of the Google Science Fair is a 'Flashlight Powered By Body Heat', developed by a 15 year old school student Ann Makosinski. We've a video and demonstration of the project and we're quite sure that it's more interesting that what you could make when you were 15.

slide

The flashlight works on the thermoelectric effect - that is direct conversion of temperature difference into electricity. A thermoelectric device creates voltage difference between the two sides of it at different temperatures. Ann put up aluminium tiles on the surface of a hollow pipe and the air flowing through it allows to maintain the temperature difference by keeping the other side cool. When the user holds the flashlight, the body heat causes the metallic strip to have higher temperature than the one with aluminium strips. This temperature difference is turned into electricity to power the LED flashlight by the thermoelectric device.

Ann could make the device under just $25 and believes that if the device is mass-produced, the cost would come down significantly. Check out Ann Makosinski explaining her project and how she put simple science technique to some creative use.

We want to know about the projects you worked on when you were 15. Tell us what you were up to when you were young and determined to be an engineer!​

Replies

• AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    At the age of 15 I would not have come up with such an innovation. She deserves encomium. The effects of this flashlight on our health are not mentioned here. And in my opinion they will surely have some degrading effects. To look it from a funny perspective people will turn corpulemt by eating more to generate more heat and throw more light through their flashlights.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    At 15 all our minds are pre deterministically engulfed with how to pull out a clean streak more than your friends in CS

But this is one of a kind need to give credit to the girl

But I have heard thermopile's output is really low I am still wondering How did she step it up enough to charge the Battery

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear to all experts, I thank you first in advance for all the help and advices given. The question that I would like to ask is regarding the combination of...
Designer Amy Radcliffe at Central Saint Martins has developed a novel way by which people may now preserve delights for their olfactory senses. She's created this awesome camera called 'Madeleine',...
Fritzing is an Opensource cross-platform Electronics prototyping software which all hobbyists,Electronics Engineers gonna love it. Using Fritzing you can create circuits & component diagrams for fast & rapid prototyping. There...
In Gujarat, I have read many news that thugs don't just steals the money from Automated Teller Machines but they just remove the entire machine from it's place & take...
The Linux Kernel 3.10 with Massive changes in over decade is finally been released yesterday(today) on 30th June 2013 (1st July 2013 IST) by Linus Torvalds. Linus was delaying the...