Fixation of Motor to Wheel: Keyway or Flange?

Hi all,

I need some opinions about how to fix motor to wheel.
Is it better to mount it by keyway or using flange?

Thank you in advance

Replies

• Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    see the amount of the torque to be transferred. if it is not so high, key / spline may be fine.
    for high torque transfer, flange is better. It give a support at higher radius with higher shear allowable, and hence more torque capacity.
  • Mr Zakaria
    Mr Zakaria
    The max estimated torque to be transferred is 64 Nm.
    The wheel has a diameter of 200 mm and width of 80 mm.
    I'm not sure whether this amount of torque can be considered as high or not.
    In terms of robustness, which fixation is easier to be done?
    Thanx
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    Key is definitely a simple arrangement. And with this numbers, I think the calculation goes like this:
    F=64000N-mm/100mm=640N
    shear stress s = 640N/(80mm*5mm)=1.6 MPa (assuming 5 mm wide key) which should be OK.
    Plz check once if you find any loophole in the calculation
  • saimriyaz
    saimriyaz
    I think coupling will be the best option.............................
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    why so?
    flange coupling needs complex modification to the shafts and is obviously a costlier arrangements with bolts.
    Do you find any reason why it is better than the simple key mechanism?
  • saimriyaz
    saimriyaz
    It is because coupling like of universal joint let your wheel move in any direction................you can adjust motor location, can transfer high amount of torque .
    Yet they are costly but they provide variety of operation.
  • saimriyaz
    saimriyaz
    [video=youtube;cfg8jb6CWq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfg8jb6CWq0[/video]

check this out.....................
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    true.. I agree completely.
    If there is any chance of even a little misalignment, a flex coupling is a must

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

*Atypical InFlow (Turbo-Rotary) Thermodynamic Technology - Gearturbine Project 😉GEARTURBINEPROJECT Atypical InFlow Thermodynamic Technology Submission Innovative (Turbo-ROTARY) Fueled Motor Engine Type *The Gearturbine comes from the contemporary ecological essential global needs...
I am a medical technologist not an engineer. I work in a sleep lab. The sleep recording equipment is comprised of an EEG headbox which digitizes the signals and sends...
I want to make something new, interesting. Not just a simple L.F.R. or something like that. I know basics about how to use a microcontroller. How to glow a LED,...
🎉 Wishing CEan Kidakaka a very very happy birthday! 🎉 Have fun! And let us know how you celebrated your birthday.. 😁 🎉
I read an article here: Great Ways to Get Your Questions Answered Online It talks about the different ways of getting your questions answered online. Google just searches data, it...