Fire Safety In Skyscrapers?

I've often wondered how is fire safety exercised in super tall structures and skyscrapers. One obvious method is to install fire or smoke sensors connected to sprinklers. However, that'd just alert people! What about the mechanism to evacuate people in shortest possible time?

In 2-5 storey building, it's possible to evacuate people through fire exits (usually stairs); but that's not an option in high-rise buildings. So, is elevator the only option?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anyone wants to answer this question?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think this problem really needs a solution. Deccan Chronicle mentions that 338 Skyscrapers worldwide lack fire safety mechanisms.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I have read that the collapse of the Twins Towers of the world trade center was not caused directly by the impact of the two hijacked airlines but by the fires which followed.
    There was a documentary by BBC Horizon about 'Fire Fighting in SkyScrapers'
    Take a look-
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    elevators are never the best option, there are different laws that define the evacuation procedures for example NFPA 101, OSHA guidelines and various Indian state rules that include measures such as refuge area, chutes, horizontal exits etc.
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Lol just a stupid idea which is practically not viable for sure..! People can be provided with parachutes..!(But how much can be provided? what if they hurt themselves during landing...! I do not know..! )..........
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Hope somebody comes up with the concept of human teleportation..! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    the idea of human teleportation is undoubtedly the best idea, but i never said parachutes vinod, #-Link-Snipped-# take a look at this link, chutes can be used in emergency,
    as per an NFPA report -
    "By most measures, the risks of fire and of associated losses are lower in high-rise
    buildings than in other buildings of the same property use.
    A major reason why risks are lower is probably the much greater use of fire protection
    systems and features in high-rise buildings as compared to shorter buildings".
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Escape Chute System looks promising. But has it been a proven mechanism in supertall structures; the likes of Burj Khalifa ?
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    let me find out
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    single entry escape chutes can be used up to 200 m high building. Longest installed 142 m at Intraco Building, Warsaw, Poland
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    archlpe
    the idea of human teleportation is undoubtedly the best idea, but i never said parachutes vinod, #-Link-Snipped-# take a look at this link, chutes can be used in emergency,
    as per an NFPA report -
    "By most measures, the risks of fire and of associated losses are lower in high-rise
    buildings than in other buildings of the same property use.
    A major reason why risks are lower is probably the much greater use of fire protection
    systems and features in high-rise buildings as compared to shorter buildings".
    Parachutes was just my opinion..! ๐Ÿ˜€(which i know is very stupid of me..(I hadn't come across these chutes by then..! ๐Ÿ˜€ )
  • archlpe
    archlpe
    ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Greetings, An interesting question hit me, can we prevent condensation of steam? Like can we alter the compositions of the steam mixture to prevent it at 26-29 degree Celsius?
hello, i am in my final year of b.tech from A.P with ECE as my branch. i dont have a very good percentage and i am planning to do some...
I forgot to switch OFF the head lights of the battery, now it's completely drained off... i couldn't start the car. Even tried by pushing the vehicle and starting it....
Seasoning of cast iron pans: https://www.instructables.com/id/Best-Way-to-Season-Cast-Iron-Pans-Flax-Seed-Oil/
An interesting timepass: https://www.instructables.com/id/Ultraviolet-Business-Card-Flashlight/step2/The-artwork/