Finding router's IP address

one friend of mine needs help in changing from dialup to 'always on' connection on her BSNL broadband. For that I need to access the router configuration page to make changes to the current settings. But I am unable to access the page using 192.168.1.1.
Most routers and including this one from UTStarcom has that default IP but it is not working.

The ipconfig too doesnt help me with the default gateway address.
#-Link-Snipped-#

can anyone tell me what can I do to get to the router's page?

Additional links:
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Try pinging 192.168.1.1, if it asks for credentials, use: admin, admin or admin, password... If they are working, either your router IP Address is 192.168.1.1 or go into the admin page and you can find it out... ๐Ÿ˜€ All the best... ๐Ÿ˜›
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    err..I have mentioned that I have tried doing that already and that it is not working.

is there some other way to go about this problem ?
    BSNL anywayz ****s... ๐Ÿ˜” Man... try getting the work done with the JE...
    By the way, what are you trying to do??? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    what is JE ?

need to set the pppoe config on the router to make the connection on 'always on' mode
    Joint Engineer... Use the IP 192.168.1.1... ๐Ÿ˜€
    If you still wanna be technical, go to cmd and type ipconfig /all (windows) or terminal and type ifconfig (linux) ... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok, try this on windows

go to network connections, and see the default gateway icon and click the gateway .

As well, invert the router if you can find any details. few vendors provide details at the rear side of the router.

I have previously done router ( netgear) config changes and have documented it in my blog ( refer to signature)

PS: I cant access my blog through office network.
    durga
    ok, try this on windows

go to network connections, and see the default gateway icon and click the gateway .

As well, invert the router if you can find any details. few vendors provide details at the rear side of the router.

I have previously done router ( netgear) config changes and have documented it in my blog ( refer to signature)

PS: I cant access my blog through office network.
    Durga, I guess this won't work out as NetGear is a private guy, who does modems not like ADSL2... So there's no built in config! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Praveen you mean the modem what Opti is suggesting does not have preconfigured configurations? It doesnot matter. The can be configured thrugh the web interface of the router. I am thinking they should be able to . as well accessing the router from network confgurations is a windows feature right? not sure how vendor would make any difference. hmm :-s.

Opti, could you advice what who si the vendor and what is the model number? as well, sometimes address, 192.168.0.1 might as well work for default gateway ,try accessing it.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    I have a feeling they (BSNL idiots) might have disabled router access. If you were wireless (I could not determine that from your ip/config screen, sorry) then connect with a wire. Anyway, try to do a hard reset on the back of your router. You should be able to access it then.
    durga
    The can be configured thrugh the web interface of the router.
    Ha! The catch is here... ๐Ÿ˜”
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    @durga
    I do not have physical access to the system. Am trying to help using teamviewer. The adsl modem is supplied by UTSTARCOM to BSNL and the model no is UT-300R2U.(more here #-Link-Snipped-#)

#-Link-Snipped-#

i tried 192.168.1.1 and 0.1 both do not work. There is no default gateway given as u can see from the screen shot given above. I am unsure as to how to access the web interface.

@xheavenlyx
    I too feel that I need to hard reset the modem but incase it doesnt work, my friend will be out of internet connection and that is risky. As I said, I am doing this remotely and do not have physical access to the system. And taking a backup of the configuration too isnt possible as I cant access the config page ๐Ÿ˜”
    and its not wireless. connected through lan
    Are you trying to connect it inside teamviewer only na? Outside teamviewer doesn't allow.. In case you wanna know the IP address without someone tracing it, open #-Link-Snipped-# and you can see the public IP address! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    but what has it got to do with public ip here praveen? I did not understand what u exactly meant.

The thing is I want to make configuration changes in the router's web interface and for that I need to get access to it which I am unable to do. 192.168.1.1 is the default ip for the adsl modem but it is not givin access. ping doesnt work too. Am confused what to do now. Without the access to the router's web interface I cant do anything. And resetting the modem itself could be risky cos I do not have access to the modem itself as I am doing it remotely. And since settings cant be backed up, therefore I wouldnt be able to instruct my friend over the phone too to restore the current one in case of any problem..It may shut her out for a few days ๐Ÿ˜›
    You are supposed to ping it with the system inside the teamviewer not the system in which teamviewer runs... Are you doing this correctly?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ opti- please disregard all my previous posts, i could not access the screenshot from office network.
    Durga, the IP Address of the Router is 192.168.0.1! Right?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i am talking about the default gateway. my ip config shows below

IPV4 add:192.168.2.3
    subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
    def gateway - 192.168.2.1

my home network is set up as computer--> wireless modem --> BSNL modem
    the default gateway for me here would be my wireless modem and I should be able to access it through 192.168.2.1 , I wont be able to access my wireless router if I type 192.168.1.1 /192.168.0.1yes true that in many instances the ip might be 192.168.1.1

Opti, can you give the LAN ethernet ( if wired) interface Ipconfig details??

for example I am posting my computer details below:

[โ€‹IMG]

[โ€‹IMG]
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ok, default gateway is empty and that cannot be possible :X. Again, I have clipped my previous post as it will lead to confusion , the Ip is actually a WAN IP and we need a LAN IP.

Now, Opti, ? your screenshot says auto configuration Ip address, but no auto obtained default gateway.
    can you try assigning Ip address 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 for computer and router?

if it doesnot work you can change it to the DHCP mode again.
    But not sure how the router lost its details

@ Praveen, lets see if this works, I should have really read through all the posts before posting. Appologies for the confusion created
    Yeah, right... What you said is right Durga... Let opti go ahead and do those... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    that exactly is the confusion as even though it is on dhcp mode, it hasnt assigned any default gateway.
    I should have tried assigning ip manually. I lost it in confusion ๐Ÿ˜›
    Ill try that now. Let me call up my fried. Have to see if she is up already. Let u people know asap. Thanks a lot anyways ๐Ÿ˜€
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    durga
    can you try assigning Ip address 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.1 for computer and router?
    you mean default gateway right ? how else do I assign the IP to the router ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    yes, default gateway will be the router for your network.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    My bad! That was silly of me to not have tried assigning ips manually. It worked when I did it now. The router is all set up now ๐Ÿ˜€
    I was so confused for not being able to access the router ip that I forgot to try assign the ips manually. I tried all other things but not this one.
    Thanks Durga for reminding about it and Praveen and xheavenlyx for assisting ๐Ÿ˜€

Though I still do not understand how is it possible to keep DHCP enabled and yet not assign a default gateway? Any idea on that one ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Great to hear that!
    now that you have done all the things you need to with your router, change the IP settings again to DHCP mode, lets see if the router and the computer accquire a Ip.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    yes I had done that already and now all the settings are normal. Both the router and computer have an ip now.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    that's great! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Finally the case is closed! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Good work Durga

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Guys, This is Dhinesh from BITS-Pilani. We have an internship program at our campus where we go to work in projects in corporate companies for 6 months. I need...
I've come to a conclusion that almost every employed person out there in the world is now in a meeting room. At least it seems so. From friends to business...
We have all heard that age old statement, 'Any publicity is good publicity'. This is at least true by what media follows โ€“ any mention of your name/brand/company is good...
[video=youtube;pYlwl2wE7UY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlwl2wE7UY&feature=featured[/video] This video says it all. YouTube Good Work is a unique opportunity for creatives around the world to win a trip to the Cannes Lions International Festival Of Creativity...
Procrastination often leads to crisis. Check this: