Fill with stones?

Why railway tracks fill with lot of stones?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A moving train is just a series of point loads. If the track is on plain mud the track will sink unevenly. The stones help to distribute the load evenly on the ground rain or shine.
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    A.V.Ramani
    A moving train is just a series of point loads. If the track is on plain mud the track will sink unevenly. The stones help to distribute the load evenly on the ground rain or shine.
    I was thinking about what he asked for more than a year or two. But never got a chance to know it. I think now i know it . Is that the only reason why they use it .
    Why can't they use cemented tracks as in case of metro coz even that may help in distribution successfully
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Blvn Lakshman
    Why railway tracks fill with lot of stones?
    Its provide the elastic cushion to the sleeper, when the moving load occurs.
    Here the list contains the function of the ballast:
    (1) It provides a hard and level bed for the sleepers.
    (2) It holds the sleepers in proper position during the passage of moving trains.
    (3) It provides to some extent an elastic bed for the track.
    (4) It transmits and distributes the moving load of the trains from the sleepers to the
    formation uniformly.
    (5) It protects the formation surface from direct exposure to sun, rain and frost.
    (6) It provides a proper drainage to the track, keeping the sleepers in dry condition.
    (7) It obstracts the growth of vegetations at the track formation.
    (8) It provides proper super elevation to the outer rail on curves.
    (9) It provides an easy means for correcting the unevenness of the track.
    (10) It provides the lateral and longitudinal stability to the track
    (11) It protects the sleepers from capillary moisture of formation.
    (12) It provides a media for absorption of all impacts caused by rolling stock.

@#-Link-Snipped-# - You are right, In metro, the track is placed over the cement concrete base, which is designed for static & dynamic. And also the concrete base is connected with the piers to transmit the load to the ground. But if you going to laid the track over the sub-grade. The soil has not the same bearing capacity throughout the track. So using the Ballast as the sub-base to transfer the load.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    I was thinking about what he asked for more than a year or two. But never got a chance to know it. I think now i know it . Is that the only reason why they use it .
    Why can't they use cemented tracks as in case of metro coz even that may help in distribution successfully
    Cost over long distances.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all , I Just completed MCS..so I am confused for which I start my career.....Website Development using PHP or java else learn Android ,IOS,iPhone. In Mobile development there short...
I was brushing my teeth this morning. And while I was applying toothpaste on my brush i observed the motion of paste. It was centrefilled and I wondered how exactly...
Gionee, the Chinese smartphone makers, have launched a new gadget in their Elife series with Gionee Elife E7. A successor to the Gionee Elife E6 smartphone with some cool features...
Paper planes have been a part of everyone’s childhood. As kids you might have wasted many sheets of paper trying to perfect your design so that your paper plane flies...
Hello To All Staff and Moderator, I am Rhomeo Manaog, one of the community assistant of Patexia, Inc. Patexia is a global community of students, researchers, and professionals that comes...