Fevibond ruins thermocol

I hope all of you are aware of a particular adhesive , under the brand name "fevibond", made by the manufacturers of fevicol.

now when, fevibond is applied on thermocol, the latter, deteriorates in a matter of seconds, as if being corroded by acid.

now i am curious to know whether this is some kind of acid-base reaction, or some kind of kind of endothermic reaction, from which the heat melts thermocol.

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    Well, Thermocol is foamed Polystyrene, which can be dissolved in organic solvents☕,I think Adhesives like Fevibond , Feviquick etc. contains Toluene which is an organic solvent, and thus it dissolves Thermocol😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Interesting observation, mate. Not sure of the chemical composition of fevicol and fevibond. Let me mark #-Link-Snipped-# if he knows more about the compositions.

#-Link-Snipped-# : I searched the Internet a bit; couldn't find any link to chemical composition of these adhesives. Is toluene a common component of most of the adhesives? Fevicol, works perfectly fine with Thermocol though.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Fevibond is more of a rubber adhesive in liquid form unlike Fevicol which is not entirely a rubber colloid

So the dispersal agent in FeviBond dissolves the thermocol
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Thermocol is polystyrene foam with a porosity of about 98%. It is very soluble in many organic solvents.
    Fevibond is an organic solvent based rubber adhesive.
    This dissolves thermocol easily, especially as the foam is 98% air and has very little polymer.

Fevicol is a water based polymeric resin adhesive, which does not affect Thermocol.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    #-Link-Snipped-# sir here is the link for feviquick composition:#-Link-Snipped-#

and for Toluene, its applications are given in wiki: Toluene Uses 😀
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    well as far as melting thermocol is concerned, i guess the same thing goes for Anabond.

by the what is the difference between fevikwik, and fevibond. and anabond ? all of them are super glues according to the layman.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    by the what is the difference between fevikwik, and fevibond. and anabond ? all of them are super glues according to the layman.
    SUperglues or instant adhesives are cyano acrylate based. Fevibond is solvent based rubber adhesive. It sis not a so called 'super glue'.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Rubber adhesives are different from Super glues Fevi bond is a rubber based glue but Fevi Quick is a super glue
  • Sandeep NE
    Sandeep NE
    i need to stick styrofoam to a pvc pipe.. what would be the best adhesive available in Indian market for this?.. i have tried fevicol, it didnt work well..

the guy at the hardware showed me another Pidilite product and Araldite...

i wanted to get back and try researching before i bought something.. araldite is apparently not good for sticking polypropylene things, so, would it be any good for polystyrene?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    This to That (Glue Advice)

Hey man I think these alternatives are really a boon to sticking stuff

Worth a try

But availability in Indian Market is not shown in the site
    Sandeep NE
    i need to stick styrofoam to a pvc pipe.. what would be the best adhesive available in Indian market for this?.. i have tried fevicol, it didnt work well..

i wanted to get back and try researching before i bought something.. araldite is apparently not good for sticking polypropylene things, so, would it be any good for polystyrene?
  • Sandeep NE
    Sandeep NE
    thanks for the quick reply man! i wish atleast one hardware shop guy was this fast! 😁

yeah there are many results on the internet..some say gorilla glue.. some say loctite..

most things im coming across have this written on them..

"Recommended For

Repairing figurines, costume jewelry, cameras, toys, metal car parts, wiper blades, rubber seals and O-rings
    Bonding leather, cork, paper, cardboard, wood, chipboard, fabric, metal, ceramic, rubber and hard plastics such as Plexiglass™, polycarbonate, polystyrene and PVC
    Ideal for vertical surfaces

Not Recommended For

Glazed surfaces
    Styrofoam, foam rubber, pure bone china, glass, silicone rubber, PTFE, polyethylene and polypropylene
    Exterior applications
    Use on repairs needing high flexibility or for gap filling applications
    Use in dishwasher, oven or microwave"

im just hoping to find something tho...

apparently loctite has some products... if anyone has any eperience in this please share the gyan!... thanks!!
  • Sandeep NE
    Sandeep NE
    styrofoam is polystyrene isnt it?!.. it is shown in both recommended and not recommended list

the thing i want to stick is a 6mm sheet of styrofoam...the flexible (like cloth) type that we get in electronic gadget and appliances packaging ...(not the thermacol that breaks)
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sandeep NE
    styrofoam is polystyrene isnt it?!.. it is shown in both recommended and not recommended list

the thing i want to stick is a 6mm sheet of styrofoam...the flexible (like cloth) type that we get in electronic gadget and appliances packaging ...(not the thermacol that breaks)
    I very much doubt if the product you are talking about is styrofoam. There is no flexible styrofoam tomy knowledge. It is most likely to be polyethylene foam. Looks like styrofoam. You can use araldite for this. Just emery the pvc surface. If you have a hot air blower (hair dryer) blow hot air on both surfaces to be bonded (this helps to activate polymer surfaces for better adhesion with araldite), smear a thin layer of araldite on both and press together. Keep undisturbed for 24 hours unless you are using a quickset version of araldite. Use adhesive tape to secure the joint till it sets.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Because people have a need to glue things to other things

Attach to
    Styrofoam to Vinyl
    For the strongest, least toxic bond we recommend:
    but remember to put the glue on the vinyl first, then contact it to the styrofoam
    For large areas we recommend:
    [​IMG] Styrofoam is a plastic that has been whipped up like a milkshake and then cured that way. That's what makes it light. Like plastic, there are many different formulas for styrofoam. They may contain any combination of styrene, urethane, neoprene or vinyl. For this reason choosing the correct adhesive is not easy. For our tests we used polystyrene which is a composition of styrene, chlorodifluoroethane and ethyl chloride, for those of you who care. The most important things to remember when choosing an adhesive for styrofoam are:
    • Never use an adhesive that contains a solvent. It will Reactivity the styrofoam releasing all sorts of toxic fumes
    • Choose adhesives that are suited for not porous materials (remember styrofoams are plastics and plastics are non-porous)
    • Never use hot glue directly on to styrofoam. There are some cases when hot glue is an appropriate adhesive, but it should be applied to the material you are bonding the styrofoam to and left to cool a few seconds before contacting the styrofoam. The glue will get lost in the hole that it has burned, and burning plastics releases toxic fumes.
    • Remember, a glue is only as strong as the weakest material in the union. Styrofoam is easily broken and has very little tensile strength. In our tests, if the styrofoam broke before the bond, the glue was considered strong enough.
    Source: This to That (Glue Advice)
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Sandeep NE

try m-seal.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    m-seal is now a Pidilite product. Originally a Mahindra product. It is also an epoxy based adhesive.
  • Sandeep NE
    Sandeep NE
    thank you for the correction sir!... i shall try what you have suggested..

THANK YOU 😀 !!
  • Gagan Singla
    Gagan Singla
    I need to fix my torn headphone cusion(Its made of either raxin or leather). Which one is better. Fevibond or fevikwik?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Epoxy (Araldite two component type) is a safer option as it does not react with the surface in contact. Fevikwik is an anaerobic instant adhesive. Can be used if you are careful and can apply it exactly where wanted because it sets in seconds and errors cannot be corrected.
  • Gagan Singla
    Gagan Singla
    What about fevi bond? I just have to put it on the cusion part so as to avoid further tear.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Fevibond is a rubber based adhesive. It has a solvent carrier. If your cushion is compatible with the solvent Fevibond can be used.
  • Uz-Air
    Uz-Air
    What is the best Wood to Wood glue in Indian Market ? I mean the strongest, doesn't matter if it takes some time to set in.
  • Uz-Air
    Uz-Air
    What is the best wood to wood glue available in Indian market ? I mean the strongest one, even though it takes some time to set in.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Epoxies give permanent, waterproof joints.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well this was the last weeks topic as we had lesser participation we are continuing this week as well Now to the topic and happy week end guys
There was a recent attempt to break into my gmail account.😡 My entire blog depends on it. I've changed passwords now, but the goon still appears online from my friend's...
im new n j h ust want to know low about something logic with no possible reson to solve problem like engineering * zero to infinity * lern from th...
Can some body please write a tutorial about marketing with some good examples, like for example, steps about how to market a newly developed library management system software? please also...
can anyone give me project ideas on cryptography or information security