Factors that kill startups

The rate of failure among startups is very high. What do you think are the factors that contribute to the failure of startups?

Replies

• kedarjk
    kedarjk
    There are many actually, but major one is "Lack of vision".
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    If someone starts something for earning Money and nothing else , then the start up is going to fail , no matter how much skilled the person may be!
    This is my opinion..

Next , if we start something which may not be different but which is solving some social problem etc , then the start up will not fail , money is secondary if it is taken as primary goal then there is a more likely change to fail..

For example the counting machine is something which helped many bankers to count the cash fast.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Not Agreed ES !!! No offence means.

Prime reason for everybody to start a company is making money only.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    One has to be patience and ambitious for a start-up, patience needed to sustain in harder times and ambition gives vision and ignites the fire to move on.As for money,there is room for everyone.....you have to search it!!!As for social problems....NGO's are mushrooming!!!
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    There are many reasons for a failure during a startup.
    1. Lack of sufficient knowledge about that particular business
    2. Lack of good guidance
    3. Over Expectation
    4. Lack of cash flow
    5. Lack of vision and ambition
    These are some of the reasons why many startups fail. If we decide to start a business, we have to be ready to sacrifice anything to succeed. Sometimes after failing in one or two attempts, we will succeed in the third attempt. Patience is an important quality that should be developed by all wannabe entrepreneurs.

@ES:
    No offense ES. But business has nothing to do with social welfare. Some businesses help in welfare of the society but all business are not started to provide a better use to the society. For example there are many gambling centers around the world. there, they play poker with millions and millions of cash. I don't think there is any welfare to the society from these gamble centers. but their business is flourishing everyday.

For a startup to succeed, one must have a clear vision, ambition and perseverance. This is my opinion.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    A clarification here , Social problem i meant is a problem faced by society!! It may not be some thing that NGO does, its a problem which world is facing/about to face!

The low power consuming lights, fans and all electrical devices are getting popular, this is a problem faced. I meant these kind of problems!
    Sorry for the confusion!!

But again if the prime focus is on earning money startup will fail , it will not only if the above mentioned factors by Red Hawk are fine.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Energy saving methods are need of the hour,and a necessity,it more of a need than a requirement.

English-Scared
    A clarification here , Social problem i meant is a problem faced by society!! It may not be some thing that NGO does, its a problem which world is facing/about to face!

The low power consuming lights, fans and all electrical devices are getting popular, this is a problem faced. I meant these kind of problems!
    Sorry for the confusion!!

But again if the prime focus is on earning money startup will fail , it will not only if the above mentioned factors by Red Hawk are fine.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    1.Mostly They tend to over commit.
    2.Lack of highly talented or skilled professionals.
    3.They can do the project but not with in a schedule or budget.

But again if the prime focus is on earning money startup will fail
    that is true.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Great points, everyone 😀 . Lack of talented/skilled professionals is a big reason for startup failure. Lot of techies fall for 'big company' trap than innovating in a smaller, startup company.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Some more of these -
    1. Lack of a sustainable business model
    2. Team splitting apart
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I don't really agree that all high skilledctechies fall for big companies.For eg: consider the company "incture technology". It was started up as a collaboration of IITians and NITians.
    I believe the strength of a start up lies in giving all it takes to stabilize it. be it people power or extra working hours or extrovert attitude which is needed to promote the company
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    please elaborate more on extra working hours or extrovert attitude.

durga
    I don't really agree that all high skilledctechies fall for big companies.For eg: consider the company "incture technology". It was started up as a collaboration of IITians and NITians.
    I believe the strength of a start up lies in giving all it takes to stabilize it. be it people power or extra working hours or extrovert attitude which is needed to promote the company

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello to all crazy engineers I had appeared in gate 2010 with computer science my gate score is 157 can I do mtech from any recognized university? please do tell...
poor decisions making of sachin in ipl final cost mumbai indians match but was it only dropping catches and sending camreaon pollard (was in tremendous form) at 8th position. according...
These are many positions of Aptitude test questions department. It can include: 1. Aptitude test questions assistant manager 2. Aptitude test questions manager 3. Aptitude test questions clerk 4. Aptitude...
Q:What is multithreading in java programming language and what are the methods for inter-thread communication and what is the class in which these methods are defined? 😁
i am ad.. new to CE.. here to discuss and get to know new technologies of engineering.. 😀