Facebook’s Android & iOS App Will Be Able To Identify Songs & TV Shows Instantly

To complement “feelings and activity” status updates, Facebook has added an optional feature to its Android and iOS apps that lets them identify the song you are listening to or the TV show you are watching. The feature which will be rolled out to iPhone and Android users residing in US can be activated while composing a status message. The app listens to the audio playing in the background with the help of the phone’s microphone and once it finds a match in its database it allows you to add it to the status update.

Facebook

If your status update is about a song then your friends can listen in to a thirty second preview powered by music streaming services like Rdio, Spotify or Deezer. The charm of the app however lies in its ability to be able to recognise not just the TV show but also the season and episode number. The app is also able to detect live TV shows like news and sporting events. To find out how the app was able to recognise audio so quickly, #-Link-Snipped-#’s Nicole Lee talked to Aryeh Selekman, product manager at Facebook who explained that the audio recognition algorithm was developed indigenously by folks at the company. The audio being received by the app gets converted to unique codes on a millisecond basis and then these codes are then used to identify the content.

Facebook 2

To address privacy concerns, Facebook has informed that the audio recordings from your phone’s microphone are never stored on its servers and as always you get the option of choosing the people you share the status with.

So if there are any CE users residing in the US, we would like them to use this feature and inform us about its efficiency in the comment section below. Users residing elsewhere have to be content with the video demonstration below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Interesting,
    It is great to see that FB has thought of innovation and come up with a feature of identifying the song or TV shows; however was just wonder that what would be benefit of it?

merely a time save of 2 seconds where you would have manually written song/TV show name?

For me not worthy 😡😡... but that only me. What do you think about it?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    good small addup - bring it on WorlDwide !!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi there, I know a little bit of Python, I want to learn it in a structured way , deeply. Please let me know any good resources for the same....
While doing a quick survey for batteries to use with Apple Magic Mouse and Apple Wireless Keyboard, I discovered that Apple's default batteries are Ni-MH batteries; mAh rating unknown. I...
Not a traditional thread 😛 But see this :
Hello All, I am Hitesh Bhalsod from Ahmedabad, graduated with B.E. (Electrical) in 2011. Having 2.5 year experience of Marketing of Electronics relays ( 6 months ) and Cooling tower...
Success: Your Destiny Henry Ford said "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success." Success is a small word, but very big meaning. If anyone...