fabrication of springs

now that we know the various types of springs, their applications, their design formulae, as well as the materials well suited for them, now do we go about manufacturing them ?

i have heard that coil springs can be made using the lathe. is it so ? if so can anyone explain the procedure ?

also what are the methods of making leaf and belleville springs ?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I know that there are CNC spring coiling machines. A lathe can be used to cut threads. So it should be possible to coil a spring using the lead screw and a wire feeding mechanism on the tool post. I am not sure if this can be done on the tempered wire or temper the coil after it is made.
    This is a special purpose machine:
  • samhith reddy
    samhith reddy
    which software used to analyze suspension system for off road vehicles( sae india baja) and buggy cars...?
    and plzz say me calculations needed to design the suspension system for such vehicles..
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • samhith reddy
    samhith reddy
    thanku sir... thanku very much
  • samhith reddy
    samhith reddy
    sir..I want calculations that req. to construct suspension system to my buggy car... i mean geometry of suspension sytem and how to use double wishbone sytem( short length arm suspension system)
    my intrest is to design susupension sytem to my vehicle(weight abt 300kg) by using coilover springs(wich available in market) with more mechanical advantage.. to locate all points that req. for construction
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Design of suspension systems for all terrain vehicles is a highly specialized part of vehicle engineering.
    Way off my area.
    You may get some ideas from these:
    All terrain vehicle suspension design - Google Search

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    bioramani
    I know that there are CNC spring coiling machines. A lathe can be used to cut threads. So it should be possible to coil a spring using the lead screw and a wire feeding mechanism on the tool post. I am not sure if this can be done on the tempered wire or temper the coil after it is made.
    This is a special purpose machine:

even though machine tools are used, it has to be noted that the process used is not material-removal, but metal-deformation process.

now since this is a metal-deformation process, there might be some residual stresses induced, so should these be subjected to heat-treatment processes or are they ready for use.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is possible tht there are residual stresses.However, the finished as it comes off the machine will retain dimensions. If the tempered wire has been formed to shape, it should be usable as made. Otherwise tempering may be needed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey.. does the C.G of car lies on its central line.. or it can be any where.......? if C>G line lies out of central line... how... it can be balanced..
Hello All. I am muhsin from kerala. I am new to this community. I would like to stick around the superb crazy engineers all the time. Let me be a...
Iam dealing suspension design for saeindia baja, in this process i completed all. theory about suspensions, now Iam intrsted in constructing and designing xactly system... anyone help me for wich...
hello everyone.. i am in my final year of my engineering course(electrical engineering) in india..i want to get a job in general electricals or in general motors company...so please tell...
hey this is zack from AMU, aligarh pursuing electrical engineering