Fabrication of a crankshaft.

It is said that the crankshaft has to be produced only by the forging method, due to the large number of forces that act on it. but however The "AUTOMOTIVE MECHANICS" text book by Crouse and Anglin says that it can be produced by casting method as well. Are they justified ?

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    zaveri
    It is said that the crankshaft has to be produced only by the forging method, due to the large number of forces that act on it. but however The "AUTOMOTIVE MECHANICS" text book by Crouse and Anglin says that it can be produced by casting method as well. Are they justified ?
    Crankshaft can be produced by forging, casting as well as by machining. The selection of manufacturing process is done on the basis of mechanical properties required in a crankshaft.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

But mostly it requires high strength, so isn't forging the only operation available for use. if we were to go for casting process, then hot tears would occur at the junction between the crank pins and the webs and that is where it would fail due to twisting moment
  • mechky
    mechky
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

But mostly it requires high strength, so isn't forging the only operation available for use. if we were to go for casting process, then hot tears would occur at the junction between the crank pins and the webs and that is where it would fail due to twisting moment
    Yes, forged crankshafts have better mechanical properties than cast crankshafts. But, cast crankshafts are are also successfully employed and have sufficient properties. Also casting is a relatively cheap process and with proper precautions defects can be prevented. Cast crankshafts are suitable for moderate performance applications and in some particular applications where cost of forging is not justified.
  • prshntsingh
    prshntsingh
    when an engine runs, the crankshafts are under high stress...to bear that stress crankshafts are forged because during forging process the grains of the metal/alloy are realigned which removes the internal stresses in the metal...and during casting the grains not aligned hence internal stresses are present which causes fracture in the casted crankshaft.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Powder metallurgy route can also be used for making crank shafts.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We are all aware of the mathematical meaning of functions. for example a function like y=f(x) means that the value of y is dependent on the value of x. if...
Is there a particular M.tech course specializing in fluid mechanics and turbomachinery ? if so how good is it and what are the job opportunities ?
How you doing, guys? Well, I'm studying different manners of producing polypropylene, and I've found a lot of them these days. Could you tell me what do you think about...
Hello. I am going to start my BTech this year. It is an average college. How should i start my preparation for GATE from 1st year. What are the most...
What if engineers had a special Olympics event dedicated to them? Interesting, right? Check out Absolute Zero's take on it.