EXHAUST GAS ENERGY RECOVERY USING SHAPE MEMORY ALLOYS

About 40% of the heat energy is wasted in exhaust gas emitted by automobiles. In this project i am making attempt to recover exhaust heat energy by using shape memory alloys (SMA). SMA is group of metals that has the ability to regain its original shape after deformation. When we apply external load on an SMA it deforms to any shape. It regains its original shape when heated. This ability can be used to produce linear displacement. The linear displacement is converted into rotary motion by adapting proper methodology. The rotary motion is used to generate electricity with the help of coils and magnets.What i need now for this project is the list of shape memory alloys which can be so effective for exhaust gas energy recovery. Anybody pls give some material suggestions.
I searched internet but no exact name for the material found..

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    My suggestion. Do some other project. If you think this through you will realize that you are not recovering heat energy but the original mechanical energy that went into distorting the metal. Heat energy can be recovered only if there is a temperature difference. In SMA the transformation is a single point change. There is no energy involved. SO you are not harvesting exhaust heat. Existing superchargers do that.
    We use Nitinol SMA for some medical device applications.
    You will get all the info that you want here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Velshankar MJ
    Velshankar MJ
    Yes sir thank u. I think super chargers work well in varying engine speeds. But in this concept the efficiency of the system is directly proportional to the temperature. The efficiency of the system is given by change in temperature divided by maximum temperature. The higher the temperature differences higher the efficiency. Due to increasing temp there are any problems we will face??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So a few days ago, we asked all our members whether the site was loading slower for all of you and almost everyone said yes. Upon inspection, I discovered that...
Curious to know whether 4K displays always have a higher pixel density than the regular 1080p? If the sizes of the display are to be kept fixed, say 55"; is...
My class wil have a presentation discuss about the best software simulation. We discuss between two software those are ORCAD/PSPICE and MULTISIM. My group've chosen ORCAD/PSPICE software. So, Could you...
On the other day of my class my lecturer did a wonderful lecture on oval pistons. So i am here to share it with you with some small doubts in...
I am working with a project that uses PIC16F887 to be interfaced with GSM, GPS and rf module. Here in the circuit can someone tell how rs485 works and is...