Exabyte -> Zettabyte -> Yottabyte -> Brontobyte -> Gegobyte Of Data Storage

How many of you know that the total amount of data generated on the Interent every day amounts to is equivalent to about 250 million DVDs aka one 'exabyte'. But given the ever-growing popularity of the apps on mobiles and tablets, exabyte would soon become a smaller unit for data storage. Zettbyte is the next in line. CISCO estimates that by 2016, the world will generated 1.3 Zettabyte of information annually. That's quite a lot of data, right?

After the Zettabyte, we're looking for what comes the next. The proposed is 'Yottabyte' which is equal to 250 trillion DVDs. However the engineers at Intel are already getting ready for what'd come next. Shantanu Gupta who is the director of Connected Intelligent Solutions at Intel recently presented a new concept that goes beyond the Yottabyte - brontobyte and a gegobyte.

Now both these words aren't a part of dictionary yet. The Brontobyte would be equal to 10 followed by 27 zeros while the Gegobyte would be 10[sup]30[/sup].

The modern day context of this would be like this -
  • Youtube generates one terabyte of videos every 4 minutes.
  • Facebook generates 500 terabytes of data every day.
  • CERN Large Hadron Collider generates 1 petabyte per second.
  • The #-Link-Snipped-# (World's Proposed Biggest Telescope) will generate 1 exabyte of information every day.
  • Boeing jet engine sensors create 20 terabytes of data every hour.
Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
Now, I want to ask CEans; if given an opportunity what would they call the next unit after Gegobyte and justify it. Also share your opinion on what will be the challenges for computer science engineers in handling such vast amounts of data we'll generate.

Replies

• manishks
    manishks
    starobyte 😛 staro for stars!😁
    These data produced is heterogenous. The biggest chalange faced is to analyse this heterogenous data. Its difficult to find similarity amongst these data.
    Storage problem will be there. With an increase in data housing(data) cost has increased and its increasing.
    As i have mentioned in my posts in other threads this is what they call big data.
    Oracle provides range of products to shrink their data such as Oracle
    Exadata Database Machine, Oracle Exalogic Elastic
    Cloud and Oracle Exalytics.
    But when it comes to real big data oracle relies on apache hadoop😀
    Back in January 2012, Oracle announced a joint
    agreement with Cloudera - a distributor of
    Hadoop-based software and services for the
    enterprise - to provide an Apache Hadoop
    distribution and tools for Oracle Big Data
    Appliance.
    Apache hadoop is open source. And we know oracle, generally is not known for embracing opensource software.
    Oracle tried to justify their use of hadoop-"We're happy with anything that gives the
    best answer for the customer.'' said their president, Mark Hurd.
    This huge amount of data is posing lots of challenges.
    The
    challenges include capture, curation, storage, search, sharing, analysis,and visualization.(i dont understand capture and curation! i found these words in wikipedia. Someone please explain them to me).😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have doubt that how people are making the plastic spoon metallic.Do they use chrome plating or graphite or any other stuff. Can any one help me to find out...
I'm not a mobile gamer but the game 'Hill Climb Racing' available on Android is really interesting and it can help you kill some time in a boring meeting or...
Which is the best college for doing post graduation in India and also over the world?
Hi Friends, Suggest the best Laser printer to buy in budget upto 4000-5000 INR Please don't suggest HP model. I hate it.😡
Dear Friends, i have to face a problem in calculation of reactions from these equations R1 + R2 + R3 = 40 0.625R1 + 0.275R2 = 9 0.275R3 - 0.35R1...