Escape From Cubicle Nation - Small Talk with Pamela Slim - Discussions

CEans,

#-Link-Snipped-#
All your comments, feedback & opinion about our Small Talk with Pamela Slim in this thread -

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Comments on the front page are disabled. Moving Ash's comment here -

Great interview! I like how she bases her advice on reality rather than something ideal.

Working on small prototypes is what I was planning to do. So Iโ€™m glad Iโ€™m on the right rack ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally like Pam's advise to us -

Pam: Forget trying to come up with The Perfect Idea. Choose something you are interested in developing and start with a very small prototype. This will reduce your fear and paralysis and give you a real sense if you are cut out to not just be a crazy engineer, but a crazy self-employed engineer.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    @Biggie: I was going to quote that too.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A chapter from Pamela's new book is free for all of you, CEans -

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ๐Ÿ˜€
    I aren't sure if I am inclined of becoming an entreprenuer.But her suggestions apply for everyone who want to bring out a better them out of self!

[๐Ÿ˜€]
    Thanks Pamela! Thanks Biggie
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thanks for the link, biggie!

and sorry for the comment blunder. I should have waited for the official announcement!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    excellent Interview thanks for all the people for this .

The last answer is excellent ๐Ÿ˜€.

People many times try for a perfect idea , but they never get that ??

I have another question, i am not making funny or nothing here , but a genuine question from my end.

Q: If i feel like i am passionate about manything ? like i want to do MBA and want to be a good singer and good employee here , if i go for music classes and guitar classes am neglecting my MBA preparation and vice versa , i go sing with friends for many saturday nights and then i feel like missing my preparation i feel bad again come back read something and i think about music both are the things am passionate about? how should i decide?
    Which one?? and more over dont say time i am planning it to my best sleeping onyl for 4 -5 hrs a day any day week day or weekend may be.

answer this please ๐Ÿ˜€
  • thisisananth
    thisisananth
    Very useful interview. Thanks CE

Regarding your question sandy, the proven fact is that human brain cannot multitask efficiently. We can only concentrate on one or two things at a time. So we should not try to do many things at a time, we should pick the most important one or two things and get to the level of proficiency we desire and then put it on an autopilot and then work on the next thing. That way we can work on all of our interests and we may get to know the thread that binds all those interests ...

Thanks again CE...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You can be passionate about many things. There's a line between 'liking' something and being 'passionate' about it. Let me explain by taking an example -

How do I know whether I'm passionate about music?

I listen to radio and I'm tuned in to my iPod all the time. I listen to the music, enjoy it and forget it.

-> I like music.

I listen to the music and I try to find more information about the singer, the instruments, the genre, the way its composed etc. I'm doing it for months, tirelessly and I enjoy every bit of it. I love to listen to and know more about different types of music and I've a collection of variety of music. I've tried to play the greatest number on my guitar and I've been getting better and better at it.

-> I am passionate about music.

@ E-S : You want to do MBA because you must to get a good job, good salary. You are may not be passionate about MBA studies (cracking the problems, mental math, solving papers, attempting toughest questions etc.)

You might be interested in singing - but are you really passionate about it?

Let me know if this helps you.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Biggie am not arguing with you but explaining my position.

I will listen to songs, identify the music director ,the singer and think which device is used for different music i mean in the song.

Regarding puzzles if i am not busy at office i try hard to solve all the puzzles.

I want to do MBA not for Good Job as i have already One.
    The basic aim of me is to Help my country and fellow country men by establishing some company and giving employment but that dream is fading away am losing interest.

Sometimes i love singing and plan to do it , whenever i do it i do it good but i dont continue it..

So my problem to be clear __ i am passionate about many things but i will not do anything regularly will switch between and think about the other one doing the first one.
    This is real stupid but i cant help.
    Am sorry if i am childish or if i hurt someone but its me and just me ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's not passion for sure. Of course this is not an argument. Just my opinion on what you posted.

I'm a Guitarist and I'm passionate about Guitaring. I can do the melodies on keyboards and I regularly do - but I'm not passionate about keyboards! There's a line between 'liking' and being 'passionate'. You'd not lose interest in something you are passionate about; that's not true about 'liking'.

You have an aim to setup your own company and getting an MBA is your way to advance towards the dream.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not discouraging you. However, I do believe you will have to spend some time figuring out what you are really passionate about.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    raj87verma88
    @Biggie: I was going to quote that too.
    x3, great words.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Good interview,

I loved the answer of following question
    CE: For any wannabe entrepreneur, the biggest fear is the fear of failure. What should one do to overcome it?
    Pam: Change your expectations.
    Very true -"Change your expectations" and keep on doing experiements . In other words "Keep on trying" ๐Ÿ˜€

* Going to get a copy of "Escape from Cubicle Nation" soon *
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The_Big_K
    I do believe you will have to spend some time figuring out what you are really passionate about.

I will not misunderstand ๐Ÿ˜€

Yaa i too think you are correct in that since am able to go on without any of these , there should be something without which i should feel sad and bad thats my passion will find out soon ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IM an engineer in my country but now I'm in sydney.I cant work in the related field nor do i have a capacity to study master in engineering coz its...
OK, CE-ians... enough about small engines, 2-4 strokes....๐Ÿ˜ we know enough about them, This weekend i had a train journey, and on my way, out of the craze to know...
Google, the search engine. A 100 billion dollar giant But I always wonder who pays to GOOGLE. How does it make the money? I mean there are no banners on...
โ€‹ Say it ain't so! Despite AMD's past of announcing more delays than actual shipping products, the outfit has managed to deliver its six-core 'Istanbul' Opteron CPU five months ahead...
Can I ask the esteemed engineers on this site to offer me some suggestions for improving Get a lawyer - Flash intro