ENIAC - The Dream Machine - BBC Documentary 1991

ENIAC or Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer) was the first general-purpose electronic computer. It was a Turing-complete digital computer capable of being reprogrammed to solve a full range of computing problems.
ENIAC was designed to calculate artillery firing tables for the United States Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory. When ENIAC was announced in 1946 it was heralded in the press as a "Giant Brain". It boasted speeds one thousand times faster than electro-mechanical machines, a leap in computing power that no single machine has since matched. This mathematical power, coupled with general-purpose programmability, excited scientists and industrialists. The inventors promoted the spread of these new ideas by teaching a series of lectures on computer architecture.

ENIAC was conceived and designed by John Mauchly and J. Presper Eckert of the University of Pennsylvania. The team of design engineers assisting the development included Robert F. Shaw (function tables), Chuan Chu (divider/square-rooter), Thomas Kite Sharpless (master programmer), Arthur Burks (multiplier), Harry Huskey (reader/printer) and Jack Davis (accumulators). ENIAC was named an IEEE Milestone in 1987.

The Documentary -

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone!!😀 Iam snehalatha from mechanical engineering department now iam doing my 2ndyr btech from a JNTUH affiliated college. iam interested in doing mini projects and to grab some technical...
When I was a kid, like most of us; I always wondered what'd happen if we dug a hole directly through the center of the Earth, where would we land?...
hello everyone i would like to know why charge density and current density in free space are zero??????????
Stumbled upon following video on the Internet. Has anyone through of creating a similar one for their final year or say hobby project? If yes, please do share it with...
Will any one suggess me the source for study the Design of Electrical Systems.