English Mistakes You Should Avoid: Because they make you look Dumb

At CE, we follow use of proper English language (instead of SMS language or slangs).
But many-a-times, I stumble across basic English grammar mistakes used by CEans.

I am trying to point out some of the mistakes that I find frequently. I hope that you will read it carefully and keep in mind so that it helps you everywhere and not just on CE.

1. Difference between You're and Your

You're = You are.
e.g. You're very good at programming.
And for your,
e.g. I am annoyed by your lies.
Same is the case with : they're and their

2. Use of Letter 'I'

The letter I that one uses to refer to himself is never written in small caps.
You should never write a statement like this:
"i am sorry. i did not know."

3. Difference between effect and affect

Affect is a verb. Effect is a noun.
You can not use them interchangeably.
e.g. When you affect something, it creates effect on that thing.

4. Difference between loose and lose

Loose is an adjective. Lose is a verb.
Loose means "not tight"
Lose means "not to win"
e.g. You might lose the match.
Your pants are loose.

5. Difference between it's and its

The difference may not seem significant to the average writer, but they are 2 completely different words.
Its is a pronoun, meaning "belonging to it."
While It's is a contraction of "It is" (like don't for do not).
e.g. This is a new chair. Its material is plastic.
e.g. It's not fair.

There are many more mistakes that we do unknowingly. I will add more points as and when I point them out frequently.

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    Feels like a memory harking back to my school days, when my mother used to point out such mistakes in my sentences.๐Ÿ˜€
  • hari02
    hari02
    I would like to follow in future ๐Ÿ˜€ good job
  • vinod12345madhu
    vinod12345madhu
    Good job buddy๐Ÿ˜€ I thought that effect and affect were the same thanks for ketting us know.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That's great. I hope everyone notices this thread.

@all CEans: If you feel like adding more points, go ahead ๐Ÿ˜€ Make the forum English-friendly. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    English-friendly ๐Ÿ˜ Nice ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Jto

which book is best for JTO exam ?
Sandpaper is used in smoothing rough surfaces. Other than than that it is used in drawing. Here are some of my works:
earth acts as a conductor for dc but not for ac.. this statement is correct i know but can anyone elaborate it furthur.. i am not getting its explaination and...
Let us discuss everything about pointers, starting from basic definition to each and every error that generally occurs while doing programming in c++ through this thread I am sure it...
[FONT="]Elements of a Process Control System[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT] INTRODUCTION -The term automatic process control came into wide use when people learned to adapt automatic regulatory procedures to manufacture products or process material...