Engineers and Their Inventions - The Famous, The Infamous & The Not-So-Famous

Let us dedicate this thread to bring in the information about the best engineers till date and their inventions that changed the course of human technological development.
In every reply to this thread, you write about an engineer in not more than two paragraphs and share with everyone his/her invention and how that invention has been ever so significant.

We can have all kinds of engineers here - well known as well as those names who never get mentioned.

I will give it a start -

Hedy Lamarr -
Known more as a talented actress, Hedy had a gift and skill with mathematics. She never had an engineering degree but she is known for being the co-inventor of an early technique is spread spectrum communications and frequency hopping - both of which are essential for present-day Wireless Communications - Such as Bluetooth, WiFi and CDMA connections. She, along with her co-founder patented their technology.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Year: 1784 AD
    Inventor: William Murdoch (Scottish engineer)
    Product: The first steam road locomotive.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Electrical Engineers here can Gather! Here is a thread dedicated to listing down and discussing all the internship opportunities in India in any city for the Summer of 2013. Those...
dear folks, kindly share idea and dump's about mcts certification..
As I read through this thread here I found simplycoder statement of type A and B students are 100% true. And also the effect on these students in placements also...
Hi friends! i have a problem in installing visual studio 2010 in window 7 64 bit , it shows a message which says "Set Up Failed" , i tried many...
hi i am final year mechanical student .plz suggestme some project innovative topics