Engineers and Finance

It was a normal afternoon, the airconditioned meeting room of the engineering giant's office was replete with talented engineers; some of them young and enthusiastic, others not young still enthusiastic and some others who were fighting to keep the deamons of post prandial slumbers away from taking full control of their bodies. Meeting starts.The speaker, animated after some good opening remarks, asks the crowd why are we in the business for? One engineer says, to give our best. Other , we build the nation. Third to keep the customers happy and to get more business. The executive, smiles and says all that is correct but we are in the business for making money, or for wealth creation in other words.
This is precisely the point that I want to make here. Agreed we all here because we are engineers. But engineering, like every other business aims at making things better and importantly at making money. No invension , no matter how great , will be of any use if it is not commercially viable. This is where engineering differs from art. Not a lot of people are going to buy a miniature mp3 player which is as small as a nail , which is a great engineering marve but costs million dollars. So the bottomline is that money matters!
And Finance is the science of managing money. A penny saved is penny earned, but a penny invested well is even more than that. So CE Finance aims at informing engineers, if not educating, about the finance domain. Finance is a big domain and covers a lot of stuff from valuations to pricing, from tax to the bourses. So come be a part of this effort to understand the complexities of finance and money. Just to empasize an Urdu adage :
"Paisa khuda to nahi , magar Khuda kasam, Khuda se kam bhi nahi!"
So stay informed and stay ahead with CE Finance.

Replies

• suyash
    suyash
    You are absolutely correct, when you say, "A penny saved is penny earned, but a penny invested well is even more than that."
    I have taken an elective called, Financial Engineering in the last semester, tell me about that too please..
  • Mukta123
    Mukta123
    Hi
    I am a teacher in engineering college and teach Finance to budding engineers.
    You have very rightly written that Money is very important for any business. It is very important for engineers to have knowledge of Finance.
    However, there are very few colleges that teach Finance to engineers during their engineering degree. I think Finance should be a subject in Engineering, at least optional if not compulsory..

KGV
    It was a normal afternoon, the airconditioned meeting room of the engineering giant's office was replete with talented engineers; some of them young and enthusiastic, others not young still enthusiastic and some others who were fighting to keep the deamons of post prandial slumbers away from taking full control of their bodies. Meeting starts.The speaker, animated after some good opening remarks, asks the crowd why are we in the business for? One engineer says, to give our best. Other , we build the nation. Third to keep the customers happy and to get more business. The executive, smiles and says all that is correct but we are in the business for making money, or for wealth creation in other words.
    This is precisely the point that I want to make here. Agreed we all here because we are engineers. But engineering, like every other business aims at making things better and importantly at making money. No invension , no matter how great , will be of any use if it is not commercially viable. This is where engineering differs from art. Not a lot of people are going to buy a miniature mp3 player which is as small as a nail , which is a great engineering marve but costs million dollars. So the bottomline is that money matters!
    And Finance is the science of managing money. A penny saved is penny earned, but a penny invested well is even more than that. So CE Finance aims at informing engineers, if not educating, about the finance domain. Finance is a big domain and covers a lot of stuff from valuations to pricing, from tax to the bourses. So come be a part of this effort to understand the complexities of finance and money. Just to empasize an Urdu adage :
    "Paisa khuda to nahi , magar Khuda kasam, Khuda se kam bhi nahi!"
    So stay informed and stay ahead with CE Finance.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mukta123
    Hi
    I am a teacher in engineering college and teach Finance to budding engineers.
    You have very rightly written that Money is very important for any business. It is very important for engineers to have knowledge of Finance.
    However, there are very few colleges that teach Finance to engineers during their engineering degree. I think Finance should be a subject in Engineering, at least optional if not compulsory..
    Thank you for bringing up the topic. Finance is an important topic but not many engineering colleges teach the subject. However, here on CE, we have an opportunity to take up simple topics and discuss them so that everyone can build basic understanding of this very important topic.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends, I searched a lot for the following ebooks but couldnt get there downloads.Can any budy of you provide me the Link or the ebook if present with you.i...
Hi... I am new to this community... I am from 3rd yr electronics and cummunications engineering, NITK Surathkal.... pls help me, regarding doing summer training.... I am looking for a...
please tell ,me how to install ncurses on windows XP.
Does anyone have an idea about UML diagrams using case tools? Why we go for java coding o/p for UML diagrams... Is it possible for any other languages like C,C++...
Hi all, I am doing my engineering ,I am fed up since i don't know how to do a project. Till now i havnt done a single project.Do anyone help...