Engineers Against Terrorism

Protection By Structural Design

Terrorism is one of the most challenging battle faced by the International Countries.Buildings are being the main target of terrorists.so taking precautions has become necessary.

· Bomb attacks are commonly aimed at buildings because explosions are quick and easy to execute using readily available materials. For example by driving into targets, they gain more media attention.Therefore the construction and maintainence of buildings should be in such a way such that they provide safe and security.This can reduce their vulnerability to terrorist attacks and protect the people, regardless of location or profile.

· One way to protect and safeguard buildings against terrorism is to incorporate structural changes. Engineers with expertise in explosion mitigation design can evaluate and recommend structural design requirements so that we can minimize structural damage and improve rescue efforts.

· Existing buildings can be retrofitted and upgraded to reduce the hazards due to destructive explosions.

· The majority of injuries from a destructive explosion are caused by glass breaking into thousands of pellets, with sharp edges flying at near-supersonic speed.This can be eradicated by ensuring anti-shatter films on windows.This is evident in the bombing of the UN headquarters in Baghdad on 19 August 2003, where glass lacerations were cited as the major cause of injuries, as anti-shatter films on windows were not installed.In contrast, it was reported that the bombing of the HSBC headquarters in Istanbul on 30 November 2003 had caused minimal injuries because of anti-shatter films.

· To safeguard from breakage of walls and windows, we can limit the localized area and reduce the hazard of flying fragments.

· Blast engineer consultants can help find the right solution to maximize protecting people inside while maintaining the architectural integrity of the buildings, even the historically significant ones, without changing their appearance.These buildings had employed security measures when they were originally built.

· . There are ways to provide protection to a building against a car bomb or hand-carried explosive attack. Limiting access and creating a buffer zone to keep vehicles as far away as practical from the building are key preventative measures since explosive attacks can be less lethal with distance.

· Ultimately, solutions are based on the characteristics of a site or a building. Preventative measures typical for densely populated areas include: closing adjacent streets or eliminating traffic to the building; allowing only authorized vehicles to park near the building; providing anti-ram barriers along the curb; and placing landscaping features, such as fountains and statues, to create a navigational obstacle for vehicles to get to the building.

· One example is the Financial District of London, where during the IRA bombings, truck traffic was monitored and restricted in the area, while roads were deliberately narrowed to limit the size of the vehicle that could drive through the street.

· Buildings with internal courtyards--a style that is indigenous to many cultures in warm climates--are perfect for this purpose as they present a blank wall to the street and face inward instead. This style is consistent with basic security principles and attractive as well. Another design concept is to have an entry pavilion and/or loading dock outside the main building structure.

· Childcare centres, including outdoor playgrounds, should be situated in the most protected location possible. The convenience of placing them near the front entrance for easy drop-off is outweighed by the risk of casualties. It is recommended that the centre should not be situated above, below or adjacent to public lobbies, loading docks or mailrooms. Play areas can be placed on the building roof, as is common practice in Isreal.

It is critical that we take a reasonable, unobtrusive approach to protect organizations and people, because terrorists will have won if we have created an oppressive environment that is inconsistent with the freedoms we strive for.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow! I really wanted to see someone writing on this topic! Very well written, Charumathi 😀
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi charumathi,

Good ideas 😀 . Even I also wanted to write on this topic also but could not find time, I wish today I can get some time to write on it , after all today is last day. Otherwise I will add in this thread along with your ideas.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hey your ideas are very worthy,but it will create kayos and its implementation will take long time till that time new form of terrorism will come,anyhow keep up!!!! very educative!!
  • charumathi
    charumathi
    see the technology is developing....we will find solution when that new form of terrorism comes on way....
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    yeah till now we are successfull in some way in adopting technology,but it also needs convincing top adopt it,hope that doesnt becomes a road-block for you
  • charumathi
    charumathi
    any how thank you for ur message..
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well poeple here are leaset interested to adopt something new unless they are harmed am sure you also gave a thought about it after the terrorist attacks!!!as far as i believe some of the things you mentioned are need of the hour,but should not be compromised at any point of time!!!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well,

I would like ISRO (Indian Space Research Oraganisation) that mainly comprises of brainy engineers to make a kind of satellite , somewhat similar to geographical satellites which are used to identify mineral resources in the earth. The purpose of this satellite will be to keep on monitring 24x7 hrs the earth from all the different angles and in different directions to find out the material that is the basic constituent of any bomb in earth's crust. They should be enough microscopic that they can detect even a very small or minute content of the bomb's essentional constituent. In this way those places can be identified where bombs are placed or are being made and then appropriate action can be taken by our navy officers to avoid any disaster.

This is what I think 😉 . Anyways most of the things you have covered.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    shalini_goel14
    Well,

I would like ISRO (Indian Space Research Oraganisation) that mainly comprises of brainy engineers to make a kind of satellite , somewhat similar to geographical satellites which are used to identify mineral resources in the earth. The purpose of this satellite will be to keep on monitring 24x7 hrs the earth from all the different angles and in different directions to find out the material that is the basic constituent of any bomb in earth's crust. They should be enough microscopic that they can detect even a very small or minute content of the bomb's essentional constituent. In this way those places can be identified where bombs are placed or are being made and then appropriate action can be taken by our navy officers to avoid any disaster.

This is what I think 😉 . Anyways most of the things you have covered.
    That is quite an interesting possibility, but the amount of investment needed for that type of technology is billions of dollars. In addition, theres a possiblity the whole system will be redundant quickly. I doubt ISRO has enough freedom to spend billions on prototypes (note, not the actual system yet) like DARPA or NASA could. The system would have to be perfect from the beginning.

We had a discussion on CE regarding bomb detection here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Thats a more smaller scale bomb detection method that has better chances of detecting minute traces of bombs than any multispectral satellite can, and fractions of the cost. That is something the enforcement agencies of India should consider. In fact, it is possible for CEans to develop it themselves if they put the effort.

One other thing. I don't want to sound a little cynical, but charumathi's article is similar this one:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Its better to have references in that case 😀
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    One other thing. I don't want to sound a little cynical, but charumathi's article is similar this one:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Its better to have references in that case 😀
    Hey wow !!, how did you find that man ? Its almost ditto 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Charumathi, could you please clarify as soon as possible?

@Ash: Thank you for pointing this out!
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    there was not doubt about the article,the language used suggests it had been well documented i wud have appreciated if charumitra colud have atleast given convincing answers,watever even searching such articles take something

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys😀, I am Krithika(kirthi) doing my Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering in Government College of Technology Coimbatore. My hobbies include sports especially playing tennis and surfing the internet. I finished...
Hi, I'm doing my 2nd year Electronics and Instrumentation, please suggest some topics for a mini project.i need help.😕 Thanks in advance
Hello! My name is Muneer. I was wondering whether this concept of making a smart board would work(shown in image attached). The idea is to use two distance meters to...
I am doing BTEC national diploma in mechanical engineering,last year,can some one helps me with ideas for mini project.many thanks
hi guys many previous post says about camless engine but i have a doubt how these ordinary valve timing cams are manufactured. ya we learned to draw cam profiles but...