Engineering for earthquakes

Quote:
The principle of engineering structures for an earthquake zone is a simple one: ’Earthquakes do not kill people, structures do.”
Unsurprisingly, when large earthquakes happen in remote locations the human death toll is often close to zero with minimal economic impact. When large earthquakes happen in built up places, the results are far more variable. In locations such as California, Chile, Japan or New Zealand the number of people killed is generally small, but in other locations (China, Pakistan, Haiti) the death rate is often very high because the housing stock isn’t as earthquake resistant.
Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kavi Desai
    Kavi Desai
    A.V.Ramani
    Quote:
    The principle of engineering structures for an earthquake zone is a simple one: ’Earthquakes do not kill people, structures do.”
    Unsurprisingly, when large earthquakes happen in remote locations the human death toll is often close to zero with minimal economic impact. When large earthquakes happen in built up places, the results are far more variable. In locations such as California, Chile, Japan or New Zealand the number of people killed is generally small, but in other locations (China, Pakistan, Haiti) the death rate is often very high because the housing stock isn’t as earthquake resistant.
    Endquote

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Very well said.
  • Kavi Desai
    Kavi Desai
    There is no such thing as earthquake-proof structures, but we can make structures which can resist earthquake up to some extent. The below article has very well explained that how the orientation of buildings is behaving during earthquakes.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello I am Madhu. I completed my engineering in 2013 and I was placed in Wipro through campus recruitment process. After waiting for almost one year, I got the joining...
The Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Vivo has upgraded its X5 flagship by unveiling new dual-SIM smartphone called ‘Vivo X5 Pro’ for 4G LTE network. Priced at $440 (approximately Rs. 27,800), the...
A bug in Watch OS 1.0 of Apple Watch has been uncovered by a news blog that allows a thief to reset a stolen Apple Watch and pair it with...
I am distance learning student of MSc IT from University of Mumbai.I need some guide about Data mining Projects.I have started learning R for Data mining.But I need some guidance...
One of the leading car makers, Nissan has taken wraps off its limited edition popular compact SUV known as Terrano 'Groove'. This sport utility vehicle from the Japanese car maker...