Enable HTML5 Player In YouTube

YouTube-HTML5
YouTube is adopting the latest HTML5 technology and is giving up on the old-school flash for wider support over modern gadgets, desktops, laptops and tablets. YouTube is currently doing a trial of the HTML5 video player and you can opt-in for it while it's in the trial. Once you're in, and you access YouTube from a supported browser (video tag in HTML5 and H.264 video codec or WebM with VP8 codec). Here's a quick 'how to' enable the HTML5 video player in YouTube -

1. Head Over to #-Link-Snipped-# with any of the following mentioned browser that are supported -

• Firefox 4 (WebM, #-Link-Snipped-#)
  • Google Chrome (WebM)
  • Opera 10.6+ (WebM, #-Link-Snipped-#)
  • Apple Safari (h.264, version 4+)
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 (h.264, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#)
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6, 7, or 8 with Google Chrome Frame installed (#-Link-Snipped-#)
2. Hit the ' Join the html5 trial' link at the bottom of the page. The page will detect the whether your browser supports the video formats and will then show you a message that you are in the trial.

I've observed that while in the new mode, videos stream a lot faster and present you with the option of speeding up or slowing down the videos. Quite cool, it is.

Replies

• lal
    lal
    I had used this along with feather-beta for quite some time. But then, there was limited choice to change the quality of video played. Doesn't matter much when I'm on an unlimited internet plan, but matters when I'm not. So had to opt out. But as you said, for the same quality and video, HTML5 streams much faster.
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Is that the reason, the videos are not playing.!😭

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Being HCL Technologies campus hired candidates now we were given other option as HCL infrastructure for the post of "graduate Engineer trainee" to try. I just know it is related...
Samsung finally has began rolling out much awaited Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.2) firmware upgrade for Samsung Galaxy SII. It's been quite a while the phone got a big firmware upgrade...
Pune based Persistent Systems (BSE & NSE: PERSISTENT) is opening an office in Bangalore at GGR Towers, Sarjapur Road. Persistent's CEO & MD, Dr. Anand Deshpande said that it's time...
a 11-bit, 1.5-bit-per-stage converter is given, i have to determine the accuracy of the reference voltages +-Vref/2 for teh first stage and fourth stage. i know mere basics of the...
BSNL Indore Division has launched Wi-Fi technology for cars, which makes internet accessible on the go. The Wi-Fi module for cars will probably be the first of its kind in...