Emergency Number In India: 112 (Like The 911 In USA)

I've always wanted the Indian Government to come up with an emergency number that gives you access to all the services like Police, Fire, Ambulance etc. The TRAI (telecom regulatory authority of India) has recommended that the number 112 can be used as the primary emergency dial number. The other numbers like 100, 101, 102 and 108 can act as secondary number for specific services.

The speciality of the number 112 is that you can dial this number from your mobile phone even if there is no balance in your phone. I've heard countless stories of how people dialed the 911 number in the USA to get access to emergency services and at time that helped them save lives.

I wonder if such a service would be useful and effective in India. What do you think?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    One point 112 would be a good single window emergency services, with call from any mobile with lock state and with no balance.
    Let's hope they will improve the response time also.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My bigger concern is about getting the associated services to function properly. In the US, you can get the police at the crime/emergency sight in just few minutes. I wonder if that'd be possible in India. The overhaul of the law enforcement in India is long due and I'm not sure if it's on the cards anytime soon. It's going to be a big challenge for sure.

Second - it's not clear if this service is going to be restricted to metros or tire I,II cities. I just hope to see this service being rolled out in the next 2-3 years; effectively.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I don't know, how actually US things works. It would be great if 112 will be picked up by person and then transfer to concern department. Just like movies.
    It will help to process things more quickly. Even if any person calling from remote area, assistant can transfer the phone/call to exact concern department/officer.
    Also 112 person can assist what to do next.

If it is just transferring to 100,101 or any other service. 112 service will end up like customer care number to wait for 30 min, listening what does happen when you press 1 to 9 numbers.
    Also, tough measure has to be taken for fake caller. Assign Aadhar/PAN to number and get all information about victim/caller.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How do take the exams when you dont like that subject
Intex Technologies has been steadily building its Android smartphone portfolio in India and to pump up the competition even further it has launched a new phone titled Intex Aqua Speed...
I've seen a huge jump in people starting up businesses to offer Grocery (Kirana) online to Indians. I'm not sure if the eCommerce model holds any promise; but it surely...
According to ASSOCHAM, 42.5% of all the corporate employees in India are suffering from depression or general anxiety disorder. Some of the biggest contributors of stress among Indian employees are...
Audi is all set to dazzle Indian roads as the company's management has declared the launch of its 5 different models, one each month starting this month. The first one...