Electrical: question about transmission line

can we supply power in both side at same time in one transmission line?

Replies

• cutiermn
    cutiermn
    electrical

ya we can do that,....... but only one condition u the transported power has to consumed... without load u cant do that transportation.......... u can easily understand if you take electrical grid as an example.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    How it is possible,wont there be any overload condition???
  • cutiermn
    cutiermn
    There is no overload and all ok. Its just a power flow analysis......do u hear about captive power plant. Now a days cement, steel, aluminium industries are these kind of Captive power plants by which they can meet their load demand. These power plants small in size below 100 MW. in this case if the power plant generates more power than the demand, then it will feed to the same incoming line to the grid
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    shakti singh ch
    can we supply power in both side at same time in one transmission line?
    We can supply power from any part of the transmission line if we just keep the parameters like voltage, frequency and phase sequence of the supply the same as the power which is present in the transmission line. That means that we have to synchronize the power we are about to supply to the line with the power which is already present in the line.
    Thank you for reading this and hope that I may have come of some help.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    cutiermn
    There is no overload and all ok. Its just a power flow analysis......do u hear about captive power plant. Now a days cement, steel, aluminium industries are these kind of Captive power plants by which they can meet their load demand. These power plants small in size below 100 MW. in this case if the power plant generates more power than the demand, then it will feed to the same incoming line to the grid
    could you please explain more about CAPTIVE POWER PLANT Or provide a PDF to me................me too dont know more about this.............PLEASE.......................
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    A captive power plant is just like a generator which you use for a back up supply in your home(that is, if you have one). It is basically an in-house power generating system which is not used for supply to the grid. It is meant only for the use of the factory or any sort of users who use them. Also, they are not as big as 100MW, they may be from a few hundred kilowatts to few megawatts, may be a few tens. Its capacity depends on the load requirement of the user.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    Hey,
    you have any connection regarding this circuit ?????
    If you have any please upload it for me...........
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    d_vipul
    Hey,
    you have any connection regarding this circuit ?????
    If you have any please upload it for me...........
    Circuit? Captive power plant is not a circuit of any sort. It is just a power plant whose output is not supplied to the grid. The basic is the same. If you connect the output bus-bar with the grid's bus-bar, the captive power plant is no longer a captive power plant.
    Does this satisfy you?
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    aj_onduty
    Circuit? Captive power plant is not a circuit of any sort. It is just a power plant whose output is not supplied to the grid. The basic is the same. If you connect the output bus-bar with the grid's bus-bar, the captive power plant is no longer a captive power plant.
    Does this satisfy you?
    Actually,
    I am asking for Single Line Diagram......
    With specific symbols........For my reference........

By The Way Thanks For Answering To My Question.......

Regards,
    VIPUL
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    d_vipul
    Actually,
    I am asking for Single Line Diagram......
    With specific symbols........For my reference........

By The Way Thanks For Answering To My Question.......

Regards,
    VIPUL
    Try doing a google image search using these words
    "single line diagram of power plant"
  • Chandrakiran
    Chandrakiran
    If i understand correctly supplying power from both the directions in a transmission system will be like Ring main supply in the grid. Where power is fed from both directions and from the transmission system feeders are taken out and connect to the load, and it is reliable supply because if one power source is lost power can be fed from other side to the loads.
    Captive power plants are those which will be like backup power generation during grid power fail. This will be mostly confined to Industries and factories where interruption results in huge loss in economy, they will be of the order of few 100s of KVA to small MVA size. Power generation will be of gas or steam type plants
  • neo23
    neo23
    can you guys clear my one doubt...? in capacitive power plant do we keep the excitation panel in mVar mode instead of pf mode?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @vipul: single line diagram is nothing but representing lines with a single line and all the others with relavent symbols as we use in power systems
    coming to main question we can transmit the power from both sides
    but all the power should be consumed and we need load to keep shorting of the sources
    as we have coordination of the power plants on depending on maximum loads
    this is for some economic factors
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    neo23
    can you guys clear my one doubt...? in capacitive power plant do we keep the excitation panel in mVar mode instead of pf mode?
    Please excuse me for this, but I am hearing about a capacitive power plant for the first time. Are you talking about captive power plant?
  • neo23
    neo23
    ya... sorry... i meant captive power plant.... plzzz tell
  • rajendravaleti
    rajendravaleti
    ya you can transmit
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Is not this just analogous to having various power sources (of same voltage and polarity) in series? In such a situation the resultant voltage will be a sort of average of all the voltages. However the deliverable power is almost equal to the sum of the capacity of all sources in parallel.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    neo23
    ya... sorry... i meant captive power plant.... plzzz tell
    The only difference between a captive power plant and a normal power plant(known as an Independent Power Producer or IPP) is the end user. If the generating company sells the power to the State Board or to any other power trading organization, it is an IPP. If the power plant supplies power to just one user, that is a factory, then it is captive. Captive power plants are built by factory owners, mill owners etc. so that they can be independent on the power supplied by the state board or any power trading organization by making their own power.
    For example, sugar factories install biomass captive plants with their sugar mill. The bagasse (sugarcane waste), a waste product in sugar mills is used as fuel in the biomass power plants associated with it. Thus, the mill gets power at a reduced cost.

I request you to kindly refrain using the language you are using, that language is usually used in chat rooms and social networks. Please do understand that.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    neo23
    Also, I believe I am a novice in your question. Can you please explain what is mVar mode and power factor mode in an excitation panel, and how to switch between the two?
  • neo23
    neo23
    I too dont
    aj_onduty
    Also, I believe I am a novice in your question. Can you please explain what is mVar mode and power factor mode in an excitation panel, and how to switch between the two?
    have a clear idea on that , but as far as i have learned and seen is that :
    The synchronous generator which is in most cases connected to the grid ; is given excitation current by the excitation panel to magnetize the rotor poles.
    The excitation panel controls the voltage being produced by the generator , it governs and regulates the power factor nearly to unity.
    The thing that itches me is that there are two operating modes - pf and mVar(reactive energy mode).
    We always keep that in pf mode. And i have always wondered that what is the mVar mode for?

P.S -The generator is operating in parallel with the grid, and the grid is always hungry for power so we deliver our full power to the grid. And as a matter of fact we then keep focused only on regulating the pf to unity.
    The theory that i Have developed regarding this that we keep the panel in mVar mode when maybe we are feeding a village etc. in an isolated mode (same concept of the captive plant as you said) . And during this process we cannot determine what exactly the whole load is of the village. For e.g a 10 MW plant feeding a village whose load consumption varies around 9 MW (7 , 8,etc) , and the rest is all reactive energy . so i think maybe mVAR mode is applicable there.

I am not sure of my theory. If you know any proffessional in this field please let me know and correct me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey everybody.. time to go crazy...
CEans, Most of the interviews start with "Tell me/us about yourself" - and most of us are not prepared to answer properly. I have seen lot of fresh graduates (and...
jaane tu ....a lovely movie.!isn't it? what do you think about it CEans?
Hi friends!!!myself neelam.You may call me neelu..i am a crazy I.T engineer and its really nice to be a part of CE😁
CEans, Engineers are special. Engineers have been known to solve the complex problems of the world & making it a better place to live. Some time back, four brilliant engineers...