Electric Field outside conductors

+q located at origin so Electric field at far off point P is 100 mv/m,
i) if +q enclosed by conducting hollow metal sphere then field at P will be?
ii) if +q enclosed by conducting metal sheet sphere then field at P will be?

Please provide me answer with correct explanation!

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    tarun goel
    +q located at origin so Electric field at far off point P is 100 mv/m,
    i) if +q enclosed by conducting hollow metal sphere then field at P will be?
    ii) if +q enclosed by conducting metal sheet sphere then field at P will be?

Please provide me answer with correct explanation!
    I guess, Gauss law will be applicable for this. Please let us know what is the radius of the hollow metal sphere which encloses the charge. If the radius is less than the current distance between the charge +q and the point where we are measuring the Electric Field, then I guess it would be zero. If it is more than that, Electric field will remain the same.
    Please refer to #-Link-Snipped-#

Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.
  • Tarun Goel
    Tarun Goel
    Koushal Patel
    I guess, Gauss law will be applicable for this. Please let us know what is the radius of the hollow metal sphere which encloses the charge. If the radius is less than the current distance between the charge +q and the point where we are measuring the Electric Field, then I guess it would be zero. If it is more than that, Electric field will remain the same.
    Please refer to #-Link-Snipped-#

Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.
    i told na that point is at far off position, but my confusion is with the concept of image charge which will be outside the sphere or it will not be present there?
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    tarun goel
    i told na that point is at far off position, but my confusion is with the concept of image charge which will be outside the sphere or it will not be present there?
    Can you please draw a picture of the position of the objects and test charge and the point you are measuring the electric field. FYI, using MSPaint, you can do it. I am not getting exactly what the position!!
  • Tarun Goel
    Tarun Goel
    here the main problem is not with the position but with the conducting surface so i think it is the concept of image charge and it's in 3D so just consider P anywhere in space far away from origin.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    If that is the case, then value of
    (Charge of the sphere Q)
    E = ------------------------
    4 (Pi) (pemitivity)(distance between center of the sphere and point where electric field is measured)'s square

Let me know If I am going wrong.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With an objective to develop computing and communication technologies on the basis of quantum properties of light and matter, the researchers from City College of New York have created half-light,...
The department of telecommunications (DoT), India has issued a notice to the ISPs to block a list of 32 websites that include github.com, pastebin, vimeo and archive.org. The order was...
NASA has developed a new type of instrument, called 'Soil Moisture Active Passive' aka SMAP that can accurately measure the moisture content in Earth's soil. Ready for its prime launch...
Tech giant Apple Inc. has gathered attention as it patented a stylus-like pen that can detect user’s hand movements and produces digital copy of the handwritten material. US Patent and...
As the year draws to a close LG has announced its monitor line-up for the 2015 International CES. Its monitor line-up consists of big screen, curved, ultra wide aspect ratio...