Egypt Telecom Revenue Loss: Government Decides To Ban VoIP!

Egypt Telecom has suffered 13% revenue loss through voice calls over the prior year. The reason being the cheaper VoIP calls. The government has sprung into action and has specifically banned mobile international calls made through VoIP, immediately affecting the country's three mobile carriers (Vodafone, Mobinil, and Etisalat)

What do you think about this move by the Egypt Government? Justified?

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I think it's definitely not justified.
    It's a free market, after all and if the government operated telecom feels the pressure of competition,
    it should evolve to face the competition. It should not resort to imposing restrictions on the competitors. That is communism!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The government should start providing VoIP services and encourage people to use it. But when you are in power - its easy to control the competition ( or kill it).
  • lal
    lal
    It seems like rather than helping people the government is hurting them!
    But do you think Egyptians wont use VoIP anymore? 😁
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Everything in Egypt is being monopolized either by the government or its businessmen, Not surprised by banning VoIP, it's the least thing!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    When it comes to VoIP, there are always ways to circumvent this issue, unless the government decides to ban the Internet entirely.

However, it is common for VoIP to be affecting revenue streams for PSTN based telco companies around the world. Its not only Egypt who are restricting "rogue" VoIP calls to/fro the country.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian Prime Minister, Mr. Manmohan Singh said - This morning I met the chairman of Dell Corporation. He informed me that they are buying equipment and parts worth $25 billion...
Has anyone here thought of making a home made particle accelerator? What are your ideas on building one (for fun 😉)?
hi.... i m L.n.panigrahi,now i m studing in CSE branch 2nd year as a B-tech student,i can't understand wt type of summertraing will i do?
London, UK, 24 March 2010 - World renowned lighting brand, Concord, part of Havells Sylvania, has impressed the juries of two of the most prestigious international design awards in the...
Hello! I'm currently a college student studying Aerospace Engineering, and I'm now doing a project on Engineering Outsourcing. I need a primary source, so any thoughts, ideas, or opinions on...