Effort applied to push a pedal of a cycle.....

can any one suggest me the procedure for calculating the amount of effort applied for pushing the pedal of a cycle..so that i can calculate the torque applied.....!

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    The structure of the pedal and the crank shoes that the crank acts as the Moment Arm on which the Effort from the pedal generates a moment or torque required to power the bicycle.

The calculations for the Torque required can be done as follows :

1. Calculate the Load on the Bicycle.

This is the sum of the Load to be carried by the bicycyle and the Self Weight of the bicycle.

Thus,
    Load (A) = Load to be carried + Self Weight

A = L + W

2. Calculate the Frictional Resistance in the Chain and Spockets, Axle , crank and pedal and the Frictional Resistance between the ground and the tyres. This will be the Total Frictional load.

F = f(cs) + f(a) + f(cp) + f(g)

3. Now calculate the TOTAL LOAD (L)

L = A + F

4. Now calculate the Mass Moment Of Inertia for the Turning Axle with its radius(r) and the mass peraining to the above calculated Load.

Let this Mass Moment Of Inertia be = I

5. Calculate the Torque required

For a particular speed of rotation ω, calculate the value of Angular Acceleration α .

Torque = I . α

This will be Total Torque required to power the bicycle for a particular speed ω.

6. Now measure the length of the crank arm connecting to the pedal. Let it be 's'.

7. The Moment to be generated by pushing the pedal by applying the Effort will be equal to the Total Torque calculated.

Thus,
    M = T

Hence, the Moment required to be generated from the crank-pedal is known.

Thus,
    Moment = Effort x crank arm

M = P . s

Thus,
    P = M / s

This will be value of the Effort to be applied for any particular speed.
  • vvishwaskumar
    vvishwaskumar
    hey thanks rohan...i like your explaination...!
    i also want to know that "IS IT BETTER TO USE THE PLANATRY GEAR SYSTEM TO MAXIMIZING THE SPEED OF A BICYCLE"...or suggest me any other idea...reply soon..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My (all-girls) college is conducting the first ever tech fest in India where only girls can participate. We have a list of sponsors, we have a truckload of events and...
I have done MSc. in computers from pune university. After that i joined IT. Now i have 5+ years experience in Java/J2EE..i am working as a Senior Software Engineer in...
Hi CEan , I dont know why this happens some times i post on my blog (blogger) but when I go to view on my blog i t show me...
Hi guys, problem being my father. 😀 . He is a retired Prof for Commerce and economics and he still prefers to go to private institutions to teach just for...
hi, i am onkar deshpande in BE IT want some mwga project idea