Effect of coarse aggregate on FDT

I know that when we have coarse aggregates in FDT test, we should use correction formulas. But what if a very large piece of stone is found from hole, say 15 cm diameter.

I heard that in such condition the place of the test should be changed. Another way is to not count the wight of the large stone and then put it back in the hole while pouring the sand so that it shall not effect the volume calculations.

Is this right? Because we are doing the correction, I think we don't need to put the stone back in the hole or change the testing place. Am I right friends?

Replies

• KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Are you taking about standard penetration Test??

If means, usually we are not correlate the result getting from a single bore hole. Min 4 Bore hole samples taken from the site to determine the soil properties.
  • yunusjan
    yunusjan
    Well i'm talking about sand and cone method.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    okay. In your case you have to shift the location. Since this test can be applied on the surface.

I thing this test can determine only the density of the soil

yunusjan
    Well i'm talking about sand and cone method.
  • yunusjan
    yunusjan
    yea shifting is a solution but i want to know if we don't shift the location of the test and then put the large stone back into the hole, are we doing it right?
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Sorry I am not expertise in this. But personally I felt this may wrong , putting back into the hole.

why not you can shift the complete testing location.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear friends, I'm looking for ASTAM D-1556 standard for compaction tests. If you have it please share with me. thanks,
Basic Electronics: Part 1 Active and Passive Device​ Active Devices: 1. They require external source for their operation. 2. Eg: diode, transistor, zener etc 3. These devices are not capable...
Often referred to as a new kind of currency, Bitcoins may be best described as tokens rather than physical coins. Like all currencies its value is determined by how much...
A STICKER some times is not just a sticker but it relate to the dedication , feelings , attachment , hard work in the recommendid field getting a sticker or...
How can we store images and pdf files in database (using sql server dbms)??