eco-friendly electronics idea

Let's brainstorm ideas to solve a large green issue. If created, someone could get some publicity and a lot of money for solving this eco dilema.

Currently, many electronic items in a home operate in standby mode and thus consume energy even when "off". these have been termed vampire electronics. They can be about 10% of the electricity usage in an average home. TVs, DVD players, VHS players, microwaves, stereos, cable/satellite boxes all contribute. Anything that uses remote controls or a clock or power packs for operation runs in stand by mode and consumes electricity even when you think it is turned off.

What are some concepts for greatly reduced or power free standby modes? I know we as CEans can solve this!

example: have the standby mode/remote system operate on a small, efficient rechargable battery when the unit is in standby to power the led clock and receive the remote signal. When the unit is operating, it can keep the battery charged.

now let's hear your ideas!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Excellent thread!

In my views, we haven't really learned to use the solar energy. I believe we're missing out on something that's freely available and won't cease ( πŸ˜› ) for long time ahead.

I can't think of anything better than solar powered electronic goods.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    There are a few simple methods to reduce standby power.The easiest way to do that is to simply unplug the unused devices. To switch off several devices that are often used together,such as PC , a monitor and a printer it is advisable to use a switchable power bar or a surge protector with multiple sockets.Another alternative is to consider buying energy saving devices or devices that offer a real off switch. Identifying a real off switch can be difficult though, as even devices with a hardware off switch, e.g. TVs, often still do have standby consumption if not taken fully off energy supply. Replacing battery powered devices, such as cordless phones or rechargeable razors with corded alternatives not only cuts down on the standby power required to charge the battery, but also reduces energy lost in battery charging and discharging inefficiencies.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Over the course of a year, the relative cost of running an appliance is higher in stand-by than when it is switched on, as it spends more time in stand-by mode. According to a study carried out by the European Commission in 2005, household appliances in stand-by mode consume 50 TWh (terawatt-hours) per year in the EU alone. This figure, which is equivalent to the annual consumption of a country like Greece or Portugal, represents a total energy cost of 7000 million euros per year and the emission of 20 million tons of CO2.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]100% Off will provide household energy savings of 12% by automatically overriding stand-by mode and switching appliances off. In Spain, where the average household spends €367 per year on electricity (according to the latest National Energy Commission report), the elimination of stand-by mode would represent an annual saving of €44.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]100% Off contains an 8-bit microprocessor programmed to run a mathematical algorithm that identifies power modes by measuring the current consumed during normal operation and in stand-by. Miquel TeixidΓ³, a UPC researcher and director of the project, explained that the benefits of this innovation will also be felt outside the home, as it could potentially lower total residential electricity consumption by between 10 and 20% and reduce CO2 emissions by 1%.
    The 100% Off device is a power strip for connecting multiple appliances, some of which can be switched off while others are left in stand-by mode. The device has a green button for switching appliances back on when required.
    The system can be integrated into new household appliances, and in the future, 100% Off technology will be compatible with a range of devices, such as laser printers which need to switch between stand-by and off modes.
    [/FONT]
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    [​IMG]
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    Ernesha
    [​IMG]
    wanted to insert image but maybe its notr possible...πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”

πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•πŸ˜•
  • gohm
    gohm
    cool info, thanks! try inserting a link to your picture instead
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Can't see the pic.

@Ernesha: Try posting via a hosting site like imageshack

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a complete newbie to the site and to the world of microcontrollers, although I have taken assembly language class during college. I need some help immediately with initializing...
Hi friends, I am in 2nd year of engineering (CSE) .I would like to buy a laptop before the next sem starts.I don't have any idea about laptops I am...
Dear Members Im working in GAS Plant as a QC INSTRUMENTATION INSPECTOR, I want to learn FEED and change my career as Instrumentation Engineer, Pls provide me the best resources...
Facebook is losing its CFO Gideon Yu. The Wall Street Journal broke the news earlier today, and speculated that the reason could be that Facebook might want to make an...