Dragonfly Insectothopter

Developed by CIA's Office of Research and Development in the 1970s, this micro Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) was the first flight of an insect-sized aerial vehicle (Insectothopter). It was an initiative to explore the concept of intelligence collection by miniaturized platforms. The Insectothopter had a tiny engine to move the wings up and down. A small amount of gas was used to drive the engine, and the excess was vented out the rear for extra thrust. The flight tests were impressive; however, control in even a slight crosswind proved too difficult to overcome.

[video=youtube;dJyNU1aXXwo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJyNU1aXXwo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    May I know the dimensions of this machine? I think Bharat's army has an unmanned aero plane may be 2.5 to 3 foot long and can be controlled by remote control. I saw it in 'know your army'. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A pharmaceutical firm wishes to allocate P50000 towards advertising in newspapers and magazines. This intention of the firm is to maximize the exposure of its advertisement. Each page of the...
I just joined in this forum. I think this is really cool.😀
Yahoo is officially closing down their service 'MyBlogLog'. They sent following email to the customers - You have been identified as a customer of Yahoo! MyBlogLog. We will officially discontinue...
Any one interested to discuss about electrical wiring ? I could not find any post related to wiring, whereas wiring is very much necessary in domestic as well as commercial...
Hey guys, I'm working on an interesting project at uni and to give you a quick run down the idea is to search the internet for information about a certain...