Doubt regarding platform dependent behavior of Floating point numbers

Hi all,

Yesterday I was going through some stuff and found that behavior of floating point numbers in most of the programming languages is platform dependent at times. Is there any specific reason behind this why such thing happens ? Any compiler experts here have ideas about my this stupid question ?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    No answers for my doubt? Where are the genius minds of CE gone? 😔
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    Good Question, although i havent thought about that, but somewhere i studied in java that to ensure that a floating point value as platform independent, we use strictfp.

Anyways will try to find out more details about that and will share with you guys,
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    manusaluja
    Anyways will try to find out more details about that and will share with you guys,
    Thanks manu but Please be genric in details -this doubt is not Java-specific. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey, hi to all, Just want to know from my fellow Mechanical Engineers, How do you bridge the gap between Thoery and Practice? What do you do on the Job,...
A lawyer's son finishes his law degree and gets a job in the same court where his father has been working over many years. On the very first day in...
just want to know what does this branch deal with?? also few details abt what is instumentation and control eng?
Dear CEans we all know satellites are very much relied these days for communication. I thought it would be a good thing if we can help each other solving all...
Life can sure be confusing for a teenager in this fast-paced techno-world we live in. Without the proper guidance, a kid could find himself unplugging someone's life support, or going...