doubt on how to store credit card numbers in data base in web enabled applications

i am going to do a miniproject in online telecommunications where i need to store credit card numbers of customers.Is there any open source encryption software available or is there any alternative.please help me in this regard.

Replies

• simple
    simple
    Re: doubt on how to store credit card numbers in data base in web enabled applicatio

Try OpenSSL....also google for it and you will surely find a lot of answers!!
    c ya!!
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Re: doubt on how to store credit card numbers in data base in web enabled applicatio

Deepthi,

Answer is simple. Dont!!

If you still have to do it (in case you have your own in-house payment gateway), then atleast have the following things in place -

1. a strong SSL certificate (Thawte, Verisign, et al)
    2. SSL enabled webserver
    3. Stop direct access to the database server
    4. Stop direct root login on the database server
    5. Stop all extra ports on the database and web servers (keep the ssh port open, and that too only for one particular ip)
    6. Keep a strong password policy for both your servers
    7. Have all database accesses from the webserver through the internal interface and not on the external ones

And that is just the start. Ideally, seek the advice of an ethical hacker on this.

I would still stick with the first option of not storing the CC no.s 😀
  • Gnana Deepthi
    Gnana Deepthi

thanx for suggestions

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

im a student of b tech 2nd yr electronics &comm. i m colour blind plz tellme if it can hamper my job prospects .in software or in core electronics
hi , I hav just started working on psoc xpress and at present i m trying to understand application of its various parts.. i was studying various interfaces used in...
Hi I am planning to join in Software testing course in Bangalore. My doubts are, 1. I do not have any experience in Software field as of now though I...
hi friends i am a Be mechanical student and i need u to help me in finding ideas for my final year project.something related to automobile will be good.
hello 1 and all.....can i have few tips on how present yourself and your project and paper presentation or seminar.......thanks CEansss😁