Don't Want To Graduate By Mugging Up Subjects. Tips Please!

friends i wandered through all engineering related forums and i think
this is the best place i found to tell this !!!! thanks for that guyzz !!
ok .., let me come to the topic, i've entered electrical branch and i just dont want to finish this course as an illiterate just mugging up thingszzz just like others , i think u get my point !! so please tell me how exactly to study this course., what to do in free times, how to make use of it,etc.,,,
i'm a movie buff,addicted to facebook,twitter,etc !!! so i want everyone here to help me out of this !!!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: HeLp

Very good to hear your thoughts about CE. I'm very happy that you're willing to graduate as a better engineer and concerned about your studies.

Electrical engineering, trust me, is one of the difficult disciplines to study. There's nothing to touch and feel and everything needs to be imagined. For example, lot of new electrical engineering students find it difficult to understand the basics of electrical engineering. However, that is normal!

From my experience, I'll give you few tips -

1. Make it a habit to ask your professors the real-life applications of everything you study. Unless you understand what's used where, you'll find it difficult to understand the concept.

2. Pay attention to the practicals and try to do everything on your own. Forget team work. That might sound an odd advise, but that's how it is.

3. Ask every stupid question that comes to your mind to your professors, on forums, anywhere you can get quality answers.

4. There are just few basic laws that govern everything in electrical engineering. You'll study them in first & second year of engineering studies. Pay attention to them.

5. Try to find answers to questions asked by others. Self-learning is THE BEST learning!

...and apart from this, do give importance to extra-curricular activities, sports, etc.

I hope you'll get more tips from others CEans here. I'm moving this thread to Electrical Engineering Section.
  • crazyaddiction
    crazyaddiction
    i knew u'll answer this sir .. thanks a lot !
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That was simply the best question to ask.
    I think other studying going-to-be engineers will be inspired from this thought.

As Biggie said, SELF STUDY is the best study.

Most of the students in your class will be/must be studying to score good marks. They study to be the toppers.
    Little do they know that only good grades are going to take them no where.

You must be regularly hearing statements like,
    "Mug up just the important questions from the question bank"
    OR "Refer old papers and study only that much which is repeated in maximum papers"

It's crap! ๐Ÿ˜ก

To gain the thorough knowledge, we have to study all the material available about the subjects we have. Read the reference books mentioned in your syllabus.
    Create study groups or discuss all your queries with us on CE.

What's the use of studying if we get zero knowledge?

And by the way,
    Muggers suck!
  • crazyaddiction
    crazyaddiction
    true !!! and the funny thing in my college is, one of my sir claiming a IITproffesor is openly telling us that we
    have entered the course for job and marks !!! ๐Ÿ˜” i couldn't resist showing him the important finger !!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    If you really want to be a GREAT engineer put your movies on the backburner(a whole life is there for you to enjoy). Guess you are in FE so make the most of your course. Most important of all be regular in your studies as mugging up is not always out of choice...sometimes people are forced to mug up because they start late. DO conceptual studies and all will be right. And most imp. of all...be regular here!..๐Ÿ˜€
    Good luck ahead.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Dear CA,
    You should know a fact that you should never depend on just one source of knowledge for your answers. Suppose some one answers a question you have, be it your IIT professor. You have to make sure if it is right or wrong. I think you know what to do. read, listen, keep your senses open for inputs. I see a burning desire for knowledge in you. It doesn't really matter whether you have taken this discipline because of someone's coaxing, you have to change the preferences. You should find your movies in your books, articles. Find your facebook in CE. You have to discover a fact that your senses are forcing you to take up movies, train your senses, find indulgence in books. You can do it. Meditate. Yoga is one thing you can add as a catalyst to your self. All thses thigs will be a bit hard, but once you are addicted to it, you are in. Also, if you think your teachers are not that satisfactory(I had faced that situation many times), either change the institution(if possible) or seek external help. But never get satisfied till your mind certifies that you are. Just ask whatever you think you feel like.
    And next time CA, DON'T show your teacher the finger. Those who try to mislead you don't succeed till you make up your mind to follow them. So, its not their fault. They are doing their job. They are born for misleading. You should do your job, you are born to be a great engineer.
  • crazyaddiction
    crazyaddiction
    your words are truly inspirational !!! i'll do it that way !! thank you so much !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    crazyaddiction
    i knew u'll answer this sir .. thanks a lot !
    ...and that's my standard answer. I'm an electrical engineer and I did make many mistakes. I bunked classes and didn't pay attention in theory classes. Well, I did manage to get first class when I graduated, but I am still not happy with my knowledge of electrical engineering. Then I entered another profession which had no relation to electrical engineering. But that's another story.

Then, in professional world, I interacted with many engineers from various disciplines who were just 'muggers' & 'rankers'. They fail miserably in professional world - no matter which profession they choose and end up being average or below average. It's about liking and having an attitude towards what you do. It's nothing else, but common sense! But unfortunately, not many understand this. We'd not have had so many students asking for ready-made projects and reports had they knew they already have everything to work on their projects.

As we say in our Introduction { #-Link-Snipped-# ) Engineering is about attitude and not degrees or certificates. Otherwise, we'd not have never seen a average performer do fantastically well in life.

So, the crux of all is; love what you're doing and get the pleasure from doing it. Isn't that the message Bollywood Blockbuster 3 Idiots conveyed? ๐Ÿ˜€

PS: I sometimes get carried away while writing such responses. Engineers are special and I truly believe the planet Earth is entirely our responsibility.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Find your facebook in CE.
    ๐Ÿ˜

I love the CE Community.
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Yea .. Engineers are special ๐Ÿ˜€ Have to admit this post is inspirational..! :-> Doesn't marks matter for getting placed in a good company??
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    but my dear friends to learn much subjects we just have to discuss with friends and to learn in concept wide not on marks wide then u can learn subject and good marks too according to me combine study is better study than self study but choose the friends to study plays a crucial role here u should choose them like in your standerd and they should always think about your future and there future too this is my view according to this discussion
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    nsiva007
    Yea .. Engineers are special ๐Ÿ˜€ Have to admit this post is inspirational..! :-> Doesn't marks matter for getting placed in a good company??
    Remember the scene in movie 3 Idiots where Rancho tops the exam - without much preparation? What does that indicate? If you are good with your subject and are interested in them; you'll crack any exam no matter how tough it is.

Good marks *may* get you a job in a company. For anyone trying to be 'average' just like everyone else - that is one way. But here on CE, we wish to breed 'true' engineers who wish to 'achieve' something more than a steady job. Getting a job in India isn't very difficult. Even those who took 6-7 years to get engineering degree have gotten good jobs.

I seriously request all CEans to look beyond jobs. Getting a job shouldn't be difficult for anyone of you. You are talented. Realize it. Use it for your benefit.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    The_Big_K
    I seriously request all CEans to look beyond jobs. Getting a job shouldn't be difficult for anyone of you. You are talented. Realize it. Use it for your benefit.
    Looking beyond jobs is ok, but there are many other factors a person has to look in before he tries to look beyond jobs. He has to secure himself financially first. That is the first thing any man has to look first. For that he needs a job to make something just to live upon. Thinking beyond a job can be done only after you get a job. And it should be rightly done so.
    This is what I personally think! No offence, please. This comes from the point of view of a person who was born and was brought up in a lower middle class family.
    ๐Ÿ˜€
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Thinking beyond a job can be done only after you get a job. And it should be rightly done so.
    This is what I personally think! No offence, please. This comes from the point of view of a person who was born and was brought up in a lower middle class family.
    :smile:
    I completely agree this... And a message to BIG_K , I'm not on a hunt for a good job,but financial stability and independence comes first to mind..! And I'm not on a hunt for marks too ๐Ÿ˜€ And I'm not a mugger and i personally hate mugging... I think "its better not to study than to mug for marks"..

My question was a general one.. Why is everyone on the point of view that marks are so important for placement?? I'm from a middle class family and a rural background.. Here there is a situation where only people who score good are respected..! This attitude is even with teachers in colleges,they judge ones calibre by his/her marks only..! And i wanted to know is this the attitude of companies too...!

I'd seen Ad's by companies where they ask only people who clear all papers in first attempt to give aptitude test or interview.. why this prevails?? And mostly our educational system demands mugging isn't it??

And a final quote "All muggers aren't good scorers and all good scorers aren't muggers"๐Ÿ˜€... i fall in the second category...!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guess my post didn't convey what it intended. Let me explain.

First of all, I did not say you should not look for jobs. Yes that SHOULD be and is the priority for most of the graduating engineers. Nothing wrong with it. All I'm saying is that when you are interested in Engineering and the topics - getting good marks in exam shouldn't be a big deal for anyone of you. When you are technically good (above average), with a strong hold on engineering concepts - every damn company in the world would be after you to offer the pay you demand. By 'Thinking Beyond Jobs' I only meant that engineers should follow excellence and not just study to get jobs (which does not imply that they should not look for jobs!). I'm stressing on the fact that if you are good at studies - you will get good marks and eventually you will get job.

That's why I quoted example of Rancho from 3 Idiots movie. He tells his friends that he tops the exams because he is passionate about machines and engineering. That's exactly I'm saying.

Why is everyone on the point of view that marks are so important for placement?? I'm from a middle class family and a rural background.. Here there is a situation where only people who score good are respected..! This attitude is even with teachers in colleges,they judge ones calibre by his/her marks only..! And i wanted to know is this the attitude of companies too...!
    That's because the recruitment process is an elimination process not the 'selection' process. Candidates with lower marks are filtered and eliminated from the selection process. Examination marks are the ground for judging your intelligence - no matter how wrong it is. It's an opinion formed over years and it won't change overnight. We've to learn to live with it.

I'd seen Ad's by companies where they ask only people who clear all papers in first attempt to give aptitude test or interview.. why this prevails?? And mostly our educational system demands mugging isn't it??
    Well, as I said it's an elimination process. The strictier it is, the easier it is to pick up candidates and seen as the company that hires only 'toppers'.

Most Indian jobs don't require talented engineers. Not all companies are Google & Apple. 99.99 per cent of the companies will do just fine with any tom and harry. It's a myth that Indian Software Companies have the best minds in software engineering. The real talent lies with companies like Google, Amazon, EBay, Apple, Facebook and so on - where the real innovation happens.

Disheartening, right? It's a fact.
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    Cool.. Too cool... Now i completely understood what you were conveying..! Thanks for such a big explanation...! Also Don't mind if were a little harsh on my reply...! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    Disheartening, right? It's a fact.
    Indeed disheartening.

I wish there at least some of us who will take steps for making a change. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    AbraKaDabra
    Indeed disheartening.

I wish there at least some of us take steps for making a change. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    CE is on its way. I see CE hiring directly from Campuses and offering awesome salaries to those who want to be a part of this change.
  • nsiva007
    nsiva007
    CE is on its way. I see CE hiring directly from Campuses and offering awesome salaries to those who want to be a part of this change.
    That's too cool.. What engineers you hire?? from every field...??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It looks like the Smartphone maker, Blackberry's going to have a tough road ahead doing business in India. Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India has rejected RIM (Research In Motion)'s solution...
pls provide me the working link of MATLAB installer(setup). if possible torrent links.
Q1:There are six eggs in the basket.six people each take one egg,how can it be that one egg is left in the basket? Q2:Acting on an anonymous phone call.the police...
hey engineers ๐Ÿ˜€ here's a thread where we'll be discussing the dream companies of civil engineers ๐Ÿ˜€ in this thread, if you are a civil engineer: put up the list...
A small truth to make our Life's 100% successful.......... If A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T...