Does Mac OS X & Windows Use PAE Kernels ?

I would like to know that whether OS X & Windows still runs on PAE Kernels ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread Moved.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thread Moved.
    That wasn't necessary, as I just wanna know answer in YES or NO.
    Anyways, no problem. You're using Mac, can you tell me whether it uses PAE Kernel underneath or not ?
  • avii
    avii
    Just because someone is running Mac doesn't mean they will know all kernel stuff ๐Ÿ˜›

to answer your question, you can discover it by yourself easily. Why PAE is actually required ? Since most of the new Macs are 64 bits, no question of PAE. And older versions OS X supports PAE.

If I am not wrong, even Windows also supports PAE as its necessary in actual.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    How would I discover it by myself, when I don't own a Mac ? ๐Ÿ‘€

"All New hardware support 64-bit, that doesn't implies that they're running on 64-bit distro". While most of new hardware have 2GB+ RAM & when checking up configuration (from #-Link-Snipped-#) I didn't found any mention of x64/i686 bit of OS X.
    So, I was kinda curious to know whether they still use PAE Kernels (as rumored) or not ?

64-bit is the future & using 32-bit OS with 2+ GB RAM on hardware supporting i686 is a buzz-kill.

Anyways, thanks a ton for replying @#-Link-Snipped-#
  • avii
    avii
    Thats the point, you don't need to own a machine to about OS.

From Wiki : 'Snow Leopard is the last release of Mac OS X to support the 32-bit Intel Core Solo and Intel Core Duo CPUs.'

From Wiki of next OS after Snow Leopard, Lion : 'Platform support : x86-64'

Abhishek Rawal
    "All New hardware support 64-bit, that doesn't implies that they're running on 64-bit distro
    Yup. I should have been clear. When I said new Macs, I meant new distros of Mac OS X.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bluetooth is a low power radio technology and connect other electronic device without wire connection. But Bluetooth operates in the 2.4GHz and Speed up 700+ kbit/s. But I have no...
hello pple.. im a mechanical engineering fresher.. ive tried many jobs and tired.. i wanted to start up my small scale industry in mechanical field.. please suggest me some product...
Happy b'day @Harshad Italiya ๐ŸŽ‰ I got this information on Skype ๐Ÿ˜
Air Force Cellular (AFCEL) is the latest initiative of the Indian Air Force to become one of the first forces to have their own secure and private 3G data network....
Most of the NASA bots and rovers that were sent to the Moon or Mars have 6-wheels. I've always wanted to ask what advantage do these 6 wheels offer. Of...