Does GPS always require Internet connection?

Actually GPS is using satellite services which don't need internet connection.But since relying only on GPS takes more time for locking the location we make use of internet.
My doubt is if we use internet for the first time to lock the location and turn it off,then will GPS work?Will it be able to update the further locations (not upto street level.But just up to town and city) ?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    gwendollen
    My doubt is if we use internet for the first time to lock the location and turn it off,then will GPS work?
    Yes, it will work. usually satellite GPS does take more time to lock because it connects to 5-6 satellite to get accurate position including Altitude, your current speed and co-ordinates.
    While you always connected to mobile network so you proximate location can be calculated from three towers of you nearby out of 6 mobile towers in which you are in.
    Following is basic design of cellphone towers in which each node of hexagon denotes a mobile tower.
    [​IMG]

If you have saved offline maps of Google catched map or MapMyIndia you can navigate only using satellite gps.

If you have android use this app GPS Test - Apps on Google Play, Simple and cool app.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Internet or 'Data Connection' is required by Google maps to fetch the maps. You may download the maps on your device and use GPS service even without connecting to the data service.
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    I'm using Nokia Smartphone manually I have downloaded my country map so it locates my location, if you try without built in map, Then its take internet data from your phone.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    gwendollen
    Actually GPS is using satellite services which don't need internet connection.But since relying only on GPS takes more time for locking the location we make use of internet.
    My doubt is if we use internet for the first time to lock the location and turn it off,then will GPS work?Will it be able to update the further locations (not upto street level.But just up to town and city) ?
    I would like to say that GPS is the best way if you want accuracy. Using Internet or any other things will not give you accurate location.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Internet or 'Data Connection' is required by Google maps to fetch the maps. You may download the maps on your device and use GPS service even without connecting to the data service.
    Sorry if my question is too basic, but how do we download the maps onto phone? if so can we download for complete city? or something else?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Yes offline maps required. you can use Sygic maps or mapmyIndia they use offline maps.
    On Google maps also you can save maps and navigate using GPS only. No data connection required.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You can download maps (Google Maps) on your phone and then use it without data (Internet) connection. There's an option in Google Maps that lets you make the map of your city available offline (by downloading it on your phone). It's generally in a few MB size; and totally worth saving it.

The only problem with downloaded maps is that they don't have up to date information about places.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I observed that the handset cord of landlines are always culrly and the mounting cords are always straight. Is there any special reason so that the handset cords are curly?...
A while back we saw Microsoft trying to revive its Surface franchise of tablets with the introduction of an updated OS and new hardware. Even before Nokia was acquired by...
Nokia has launched three new smartphones in the Nokia Asha series today with Nokia Asha 500, Asha 502 and Asha 503 at the Nokia World in Abu Dhabi. The Asha...
today's app developing world is it secure to move forward as an Android/i-phone apps developer or must have some extra skill set with that needed?
Nokia World conference at Abu Dhabi today saw the addition of two super sized six inch phones to the Windows Phone 8 ecosystem. The Nokia Lumia 1520 and Nokia Lumia...