Does "General Knowledge" Help In Life?

The 'General Knowledge' I'm referring to is the knowledge that you'd generally be expected to have in quizzes, debates, group discussions, interviews etc. For example, "Where is Tahrir Square?", "Who's the Heavy Industries Minister Of India?", "How many Gold medals did America win in last Olympics?" type of questions.

When I was younger, I thought knowing all the questions would be a recipe of success in life. But that isn't true. Recently, The Hindu ran an ad campaign -

Now, I've personally encountered people who'd have a grossly 'bad' general knowledge. But they seem to be doing good in life.

The question is - does the 'GK' help in life?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It helps if you are extrovert and want to be the life of a party.
    I am a virtual zero in that kind of GK, though I do have a smattering of various science branches. The GK of science and technology has been most useful. Lack of the other did not do any noticeable harm. My son has brought home many a quiz trophy. He is a good scientist and does not seem to be affected by the handicap of a good GK.
    All in all, it does not seem to matter much either way.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right said, sire! I've wondered why do schools put so much focus on improving GK. It just doesn't matter.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    The_Big_K
    Right said, sire! I've wondered why do schools put so much focus on improving GK. It just doesn't matter.
    I disagree.
    having a good general knowledge shows your are aware of happening of your surroundings.
    what you say a person who don't know who is the president *his/her country?
    In my view it helps you to develop common sense.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ianoop
    I disagree.
    having a good general knowledge shows your are aware of happening of your surroundings.
    what you say a person who don't know who is the president *his/her country?
    In my view it helps you to develop common sense.
    I remember the first cabinet. I was present at the opening of Ashoka pillar in Jayanagar by the first president. We knew them because they were those kinds of persons. I certainly do not know the current lot except when they get arrested and they get publicised in the papers.

Common sense is not what Big K is referring to. Common sense is unfortunately not all that common.
    GK is trivia on various areas.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can somebody please explain the difference between expansion and construction joint with simple example? what are its practical usages?
let us discuss the interview questions asked for interviews. What are the frequently asked questions in a typical job interviews? do we have pass-out students here?
Ten people land on a deserted island. There they find lots of coconuts and a monkey. During their first day they gather coconuts and put them all in a community...
Hello everyone, My name is NILESH APTE, pursuing my M.tech degree in structural engineering from VJTI mumbai, I m in my 2nd year now and I have to start with...
NAME : V.S.Aparna ENGINEERING TRADE : E.C.E LOCATION : Chittoor OCCUPATION : Student HOBBIES & INTERESTS : Watching T.V.,listening music,interested in learning new things AIM IN LIFE : To get...